tomato seedlings

• 27 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: tomato seedlings
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 11:27 »
Mylar is more reflective than either white paint or aluminium foil

I knew I must've got something muddled somewhere!  Thanks for the correction.

That's why Gurgle is sooooooo much more than just my friend!  8)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Spana

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 11:28 »
Once (and only once)I had several bags of humus/grit  from a sewage plant and mixed it in the soil. I had 9,999 tomato plants!!
Removing tomato weeds is a whole new experience.

I didn't think i was at all squeamish but don't think i would have been keen to eat any toms from those plants :blink: :D

Son of Steptoe

• "Why buy it when you can scrounge it!"
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03 »
Mine are about 2-3" high but are all looking at bit pale instead of the nice dark green they should be- any ideas why anybody?? They are in a tray on the floor next to a south facing patio door :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 12:08 »
As long as they're reasonably sturdy, they should be OK. Light levels are still low and the days short at this time of year - put it's picking up.

Have you tried foil?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Spana

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 12:19 »
Some varieties do come through paler than others :)

Son of Steptoe

• "Why buy it when you can scrounge it!"
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 12:43 »
I will give it a go with the foil trick DD

Spana - I have golden sunrise and gardeners delight and there both the same pale green color - Do you know of which varieties are paler?

Just sown super marmande and tumbling tom so will be interested to see hoe the come on

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 12:44 »
Once (and only once)I had several bags of humus/grit  from a sewage plant and mixed it in the soil. I had 9,999 tomato plants!!
Removing tomato weeds is a whole new experience.

I didn't think i was at all squeamish but don't think i would have been keen to eat any toms from those plants :blink: :D

We get tomato seedlings as weeds from our own compost every year --- salad leavings I hasten to add  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mattwragg94

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 17:16 »
yeh i get hundreds of tomato seedlings from my compost too!

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 21:48 »
I bet they are a little leggy, going to transplant tomorrow.  They are on the window sill, and I intend growing in the greenhouse on the allotment.  Not used the aluminium foil trick no, but upon reading your suggestion I have put some under the tray and a little wall to reflect the light.  Great tip.  They are gardeners delight.  I have black cherry and moneymaker just starting to hatch now.  I think I will do 6 gardeners delight and maybe 6 of the other two.  I have two greenhouses so enough room I think.  After all I may not be successful being a first timer.

Sounds like they may actually be a little on the leggy side. When you transplant, put them as deep in the pot as possible.

Where have you kept them, where do you intend putting them and have you used the aluminium foil trick? (So many questions - sorry).

You may need more than three plants once you've had your first taste of your own home grown ones.

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 21:50 »
Hi yes its the Audenshaw one, do you have one too?  Thanks for your help, yes I like giving freebies to people especially if I like them!

as said earlier depends on how much space you have really but theres no better feeling thqn giving away your surplus tommies to friends and rellies thats if you dont decide to use them for salsa's and chutneys or turn them into tomato based pasta sauces for freezing. Loads of things to do with them so I always grow more than i think I may need.
 I see your in Audenshaw just down the road from me, do you have a plot somewhere?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 21:53 »
My San Marzano are tragic.  A couple of good ones in the middle and another dozen and a half which look really weak and small.  All in a light box and the other toms are ok. Is this normal for them?  :(
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 22:08 »
I've never had a problem with S Marzano, but I've never used a light box - just a windowsill and tin foil here ::)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 22:14 »
I'm windowsill challenged Mum so it was an early birthday prezzie.  :) I'll try another half-dozen seeds and if they're the same and the others don't perk up I'll put it down to the seeds...

question
Tomato Seedlings - help please

Started by Gardener Girl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 22:49
by Babstreefern
xx
Tomato Seedlings

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 16:51
by Totty
xx
tomato seedlings

Started by auntyfifi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 10:45
by auntyfifi
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 20:04
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 39 queries.