Tomato Seedlings - help please

• 8 Replies

Gardener Girl

• Experienced Member
Tomato Seedlings - help please
« on: April 18, 2010, 13:45 »
I have several tomato plants in my greenhouse doing well, they are about 2 inches high and look healthy. My question is they have now been in their 3" pots for a few weeks now and I would like to know if they require a feed of some description and if they do what to you use. I just feel that the compost that they are in has probably run out of nutrients by now.

Thanks

GG

8doubles

Re: Tomato Seedlings - help please
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 14:06 »
It is not usual to feed a tom plant until the first trusses of fruit have set. Just keep potting on as the plant grows and the extra compost will keep them growing.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 19:51 »
If they have been in 3" pots for "several weeks" I reckon they are ready to be potted on to a 4.5" or 5" pot now ... the extra compost will have enough nutrients to keep the plant going until the next potting-on ...

Additional feed (before the first truss sets fruit) tends to cause the plant to make more leaves, rather than get on with the important job of making flowers, and from that Tomatoes :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 20:15 »
I have had great difficulty with this during the last few years. I used to not feed my tomato plants until I saw the first flowers, (as all the experienced growers will tell you) but the plants tended to go yellow. I was told that this was due to magnesium deficiency and to spray them with epsom salts and not to give them nitrogen. The problem got worse as the plants got larger. After a few years of poor plants I decided to take a chance and do the opposite of what was advised. I fed the plants with ordinary garden  fertiliser from a small size and gave them little epsom salts in the feed. The plants did not go yellow and looked a lot stronger. I now feed the plants when they are very small with weak fertiliser, and it works for me.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 20:24 »
I`ve never had a problem with magnesium deficiency until the plants are about 2ft tall when the lower leaves can get a bit blotchy.
It pays to get some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in ready as it will probably be needed.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 20:54 »
It pays to get some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in ready as it will probably be needed.

That's my experience too ... but get it from the Garden Centre (or similar) as, by comparison, it costs a fortune from the Chemist

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 20:57 »
I fed the plants with ordinary garden  fertiliser from a small size and gave them little epsom salts in the feed. The plants did not go yellow and looked a lot stronger. I now feed the plants when they are very small with weak fertiliser, and it works for me.

I think that is a reasonable plan. For years I've gone with the "don't feed until first truss" mantra.

However, this year ALL my seedlings look knackered. Nothing (sown in seed trays under cover) has the vigour that I am used to. (Perhaps I need some specs!!), and I'm thinking about feeding the lot, rather than relying on potting-on fresh compost

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 22:19 »
I think most of these peat free potting composts contain a lot of bark (?) and it is using up available nitrogen as it continues to decompose. This is leaving all the seedlings weak...(Does this make any sense? :blink:)
so I've been watering with a very weak liquid fertilizer and water mix.
It seems to be doing the business :)

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 22:49 »
Water only at this stage.  When they go into their final resting places, and they get the flowers, then feed once a week; when they get the tom on, starting feeding twice a week and water everyday. :D
Babs

xx
tomato seedlings

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 22:14
by Auntiemogs
xx
Tomato seedlings.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2023, 07:00
by Growster...
xx
Tomato Seedlings

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 11:13
by DD.
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by AussieInFrance on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 13:10
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 32 queries.