tomato seedlings

• 4 Replies

auntyfifi

tomato seedlings
« on: April 26, 2011, 17:38 »
Hi, I am a growing virgin and have decided to grow some tomaotoes from seed, they have all taken and at the weekend I potted them on from the seed tray into individual pots.  Most of the stems are around 2.5-3 inches long, and they are looking very healthy.  My problem is that after registering with this site and reading a few peoples notices etc, I think I may have made a huge boob!!!!!!  I have not planted them on deep enough in the individual pots, as the stems are still quite high above the compost. 

Will it be ok to just add a little more compost so it is higher up the stem, or will this damage the them at all. 

Please help,  I am also putting them in my greenhouse now, as I live in France and we have started our summer over here, with temps of around 25C during the day.

Many thanks
Auntyfifi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: tomato seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 17:45 »
You can add a little more compost, or bury them deeper when you put them into bigger pots or plant them in the soil.
As long as the nigh-time temperatures are above 10C they'll be ok, just shade them if they are in direct sunlight through the glass :)

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 17:55 »
Next time you pot them on bury them to just below the 1st set of leaves. See those little hair's on the stem? They become feeder roots when buried.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 20:56 »
Can't add to the above, other than to say welcome to the site  :D

Would you mind clicking your username and editing your profile to show your general location?  Otherwise we'll assume you're in the UK with its climate  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

auntyfifi

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:45 »
Thanks for all the help guys and will keep you posted as to how my babies fair :D

xx
Tomato Seedlings

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 11:13
by DD.
xx
Tomato Seedlings

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 16:51
by Totty
xx
Tomato seedlings

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 20:04
by strangerachael
xx
tomato seedlings

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 08:54
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.475 seconds with 32 queries.