Silkie Feet

• 5 Replies

darrena

• Experienced Member
Silkie Feet
« on: April 11, 2010, 18:15 »
Picked up my 2 gold silkies today which were a swap for my noisey welsh harlequin ducks, so cute and seem to have so much personality!!!!
Needs to give them a full check over and mite dust over the next few days but noticed when watching them just now that one of them had 2 thirds of each outer claw missing (just one toe liek!), is this normal, there is no wound it just looks worn away, they are only 8 months old.
Can anyone also give me any pointers on giving them a full health check???
One layed an egg about an hour ago and they both seem very responsive and bright eyed pecking at everything.

Cheers
Darren

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Silkie Feet
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 18:36 »
one of my my lavender araucanas has an extra nail on each foot and my female sablepoot has a couple of nails missing. No damage just doesn't look like there ever was any nails there, so perhaps yours are like this. No good for showing but fine as pets  :D.
Are their eyes bright with no sign of bubbling?
Are their nostrils clear and not all snotty?
Do they have a clear sounding chest or is it rattly?
When was they last wormed?
Have they been treated with fronline?
Do they look alert and stand well (if you google silkie images you should see some examples of how they should stand). Granny Annie has silkies as does IMOmimey, Teapots, Lisa80, and chookychook (I think) so will lots of others on here so they may be able to advise you more about the breed  :D
Good luck with them,
Joyfullxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:34 »
Hiya Darren

Congrats on getting some silkies - they are fab  :D I have been keeping silkies for a while and do occasionally find the odd missing toenail.  As long as they are healthy as Joyfull says, and it is all healed up I wouldn't worry - my silkie doesn't seem bothered by her lack of a full set of toe nails!

Kind regards

Sarah
Mad chicken woman

darrena

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 20:14 »
Do people groom their silkies as these girls do look a little messy, if so what do you use????

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 21:15 »
Silkies feet dont have five separate claws as some would imaine.... the outside toes and claws are kind of webbed and one toe looks quite small in comparison to the others :)

Maybe this is what you are seeing.... its unlikely that both hens would have the same injury/deformity..... more likely to be correct.

You should not need to groom them.... they should preen themselves.... :) :)

Good luck with them, they are lovely birds :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 23:40 »
There is a genetic deformity associated with silkies where the outer claw is shorter than it should be. I think it's called brachydactyly, though the first couple of references I found googling describe it a bit differently from what I remember.
The rear claws are sometimes two separate claws, sometimes fused at the base and sometimes closer to the tip making a Y shape.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Feet!!

Started by Sazzle on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 18:51
by Hawthorne
xx
Feet !

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 08:53
by ehs284
xx
Chicken feet

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:20
by richyrich7
xx
HENS FEET

Started by gaz.grace on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 21:21
by Vember

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 33 queries.