Allotment fencing

• 17 Replies

ferret1988

Allotment fencing
« on: January 20, 2013, 16:52 »
I should be getting my allotment in the next couple off weeks and there is no fence currently between my and me new neighbours to be plot, also no fence at the entrance too the entrance there are strict rules about it not been over a certain height etc etc need fresh ideas as most look like costing a arm and a leg.

leelee

Re: Allotment fencing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 16:56 »
No one at my allotments has a fence around their plot, but I know that some folk on here have used pallets made into fencing  :)

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 17:00 »
To be honest my fencing is not so much about a boundary - but more about keeping the rabbits out. I do mine with wire mesh netting - 90cm high c/w 25mm holes with the bottom 20 cm buried. Treated wooden stakes spaced at about 2 m - whatever you can find - i drive them in to refusal with a sledgehammer and staple the mesh to them.

ferret1988

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 17:34 »
the condtions are you must have a fence that is not too high so they can see in but also must not what they deceide to be a eye saw.

Was easier at my last allotment you could do as you pleased

Ema

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 17:39 »
quite few on my allotment have started putting post then rope between them and then netting down into the ground to keep the rabbits out also deters birds.

I might post and rope some of my plot to keep the public from walking in. but ultimately ongoing to mesh and net as much as I can.

You can also use that bright orange plastic fencing rolls that they use to keep people out of ground work site

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 18:06 »
I'm going to have to fence mine off with something fairly robust. My plot neighbour tells me there are badgers on our site which will happily make a meal of any veggies they can get at! :O
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 18:18 »
Our Local Authority guidance document says

"The parks department strongly recommends that you do not fence your plot. There should not be any need for indivisual fences.

Then it goes on to say

You must not use barbed wire or any other material that might injure passers-by, such as doors or windows with glass panels, as these often break leaving dangerous glass shards on your plot. Please also advoid brightly coloured materials as they often cause offence to neighbours and take care not to obstruct the pathways.

ferret1988

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 18:37 »
these are soceity allotments set in there own grounds

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 19:10 »
Are the conditions that:

- you "must have a fence" that is not too high or ugly; or
- if you have a fence, it must not be too high or ugly?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ferret1988

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 19:25 »
Must have a fence but must not be too high or ugly this only applies to new members no coragated sheeting etc must be use to make a fence.

Have a shed on the plot but already been told it needs to come off until the commitee is notifyed and it as been passed to be on, the shed was already there why pset the apple cart a bit because was 1st offered a plot that had a pile of freezers and washing machines on it that as now over grown as been there for 5 years been told and just looks like a hill was told could have it at half price rent for 1 year but would have 1 month so clear the plot off those things as i dont drive or have money for a 360 i turned it down,was then offered my plot but wonder if the fence thing is just a plot to put me off because i would not accept the fridge wilderness.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 20:28 »
we're not allowed to fence the plots - however, I have essential "wind breaks" such as a few pallets, a bit of reed fencing and a length of fine netting.  In the last annual inspection I expected to get a reprimand but I think the rules actually mean access to the plot must be readily available and any structure must not cause obstruction or nuisance to neighbours.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 22:34 »
The rules on our site are that the fence should not cast shade over the neighbouring plots.  We have post and wire fencing which we train espalier fruit trees along.  We do have a low picket fence made from pallets at the front, mainly to contain my cutting garden which is at the front of the plot.  We left an adequate opening for a wheelbarrow to easily get through.

On our new plot we took over last year, we are planning to put pallet fencing interspersed with wind protection fabric as this plot is more exposed.  I am hoping to incorporate some vertical planting ideas into it similar to this but with strawberries:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QJhVhKqAvGU/Tf1nBJXn9iI/AAAAAAAAACM/63nymnucFfk/s1600/IMG_1355.jpg
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 22:40 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Christine

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 18:05 »
Be glad you didn't go onto an old site where many of the plots have ancient hedges. Even more of a nightmare.

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 19:38 »
Stock fencing is what you need very very strong....you can get 50m long x 1m high for about £35 from your local farm supply's will keep most thing in and out.....hope this helps   

wighty

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 20:09 »
I've said it before but it seems to me a very Northern thing to fence in your plot.  We don't do it here, the paths are the boundary.  When I've been on holiday 'up north'(most memorably Anglesey) each plot was fenced in with whatever was handy (so it looked to me). I suffer with rabbits, foxes and badgers because I have  a golf course behind me.

xx
Fencing

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 06:08
by Rangerkris
xx
FENCING

Started by apes1978 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 13:26
by Oliver
xx
Best way of fencing

Started by charliesmum on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2007, 21:48
by noshed
xx
Living fencing

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 23:00
by Ema

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 28 queries.