spring cabbage

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

spring cabbage
« on: September 24, 2020, 16:02 »
i sowed my spring cabbage seed around the end of July and they are strong healthy plants I've planted some in a raised bed and the rest I've potted on to larger pots

but I'm a bit unsure if i should leave the plants in the pots to overwinter before planting out in spring or plant them out in a bed in the allotments around a months time ?

Nobbie

Re: spring cabbage
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 18:49 »
I’m in the same position and will be planting them out so that they can get a good root system established before the ground gets too cold. Planting out in the spring means their root system will be much smaller so they’ll struggle to give much of a crop and may be later to develop. May spread the cropping period out though?

jambop

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 19:18 »
Of course we have entirely different winters down here but I have just planted out my sprouts, early broccoli and some cabbages. Normally the broccoli and sprouts are ready just into the new year cabbages are usually the same but a lot depends on how the autumn is... if we get a good one the plants normally do very well. If things don't go as planned then a sowing in late winter will be done anyway to provide stuff for late spring/ early summer.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 16:50 »
I have the slight advantage of being able to keep my spring cabbages planted out early in September in cold frames, which also keep the pigeons out, but they should be OK planted out this month at the latest.   If you are plagued with hungry pigeons, make sure you net them well.

xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
clip
spring cabbage at last

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 09:46
by devonbarmygardener
xx
spring cabbage

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2020, 16:43
by jambop
xx
spring cabbage

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2007, 07:39
by mixdiver

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 37 queries.