Growing flowers on the plot

• 13 Replies

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
Growing flowers on the plot
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:54 »
Morning,

Ive been thinking of growing flowers on the plot, in rows etc. not for commercial gain, just for friends and family plus myself.
I just wanted some feedback, i'll still be growing alot of veg too. Didnt know if it is a good/bad idea.

Paul

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing flowers on the plot
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:14 »
It's a brilliant idea - lots of us do , although I don't have that much room................there are always at least some sweet peas  :)

Sarah Raven's site always has lovely ideas for varieties of flowers for cutting, although you can often buy the seeds cheaper elsewhere ;)

ptarmigan

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:41 »
Second Sarah raven's website. Also saw an idea where someone bought lots of cheap tulip bulbs every year at the end of the buying season and grew on allotment for cutting.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:41 »
It's a great idea. I grow flowers on mine, just for myself, family and friends, for cut flowers as I don't like taking them from the garden. They help with pollination too, if you choose the right varieties to attract bees and hoverflies. Sometimes when I've been walking home people have commented on the beautiful bunches of flowers that I'm carrying, and if I have more than I need, it's wonderful to see the expression on their faces when I hand them a bunch. It takes so little sometimes to make someone's day brighter.

Spr0ut

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21 »
Yes - I started with a packet of "Sweetpea Mixed" and was pleased with the garish pinks, Blues and Creams.
Now I've become a bit of a sweetpea snob and enjoy the subtleties of Hunters Moon, Wiltshire Ripple and Beaujolais!

Great for attracting pollinators in and a vital source of nectar for wild bees.

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:36 »
I also grow flowers on mine, both as cut flowers and for exhibition (only in the novice section I hasten to add!!).  I grow Sweet Pea, Dahlia's, Chrysanthamum's, Glady's and Lillies.  I am starting to run out of space but I have just been offered a half plot (125 sq mtrs.) behind my own which I am thinking of taking on just for the flowers and I will keep my main plot for veg.  If I do this I plan on putting flowers that will see me through from spring to Autumn in.  I have a number of elderly neighbours who are always very happy to receive a small bunch of flowers that they can put on loved ones graves as many are surviving on small pensions and don't have the money to be putting flowers on the graves and our local graveyards won't allow artificial flowers.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:56 »
Sweet William and cosmos and dianthus are good for cutting, but some just don't work in a vase. Agree Sarah Ravens site is good for ideas.
Anne

noweedstony

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 13:18 »
its a good idea... i have dahlias chrysanthemums sweet peas zinnias marigolds and a few more spread around my plot  encourages the pollinators, bees need all the help they can get ;),

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 17:14 »
hi,interesting post,i was thinking of growing flowers next year can anyone suggest which are best for vases, also are the seeds put in pots first or sown direct also are packets available from wilkos etc ok?is it too late to seed this year thanks for any replies.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 00:59 »
I have got a double row of mezzula sunflowers just about to burst into flower, perfect for cutting and don't need staking.  Seed straight in the ground, easy peasy, though too late for this year now.  Also Cosmos and some of Sarah Raven's cut flower mix which look great. Wonderful to have lots of flowers for home and friends.

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:31 »
Wow, thanks for all the positive replies, ive been thinking about it now for months. I cant wait till next season now.
I was just concerned that someone might be moaning that its not veg im growing. Ive got two plots so have plenty of room for both flowers and veg.

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17 »
hi,interesting post,i was thinking of growing flowers next year can anyone suggest which are best for vases, also are the seeds put in pots first or sown direct also are packets available from wilkos etc ok?is it too late to seed this year thanks for any replies.

It very much depends on personal taste in flowers I guess, but dahlias give a wonderful selection of colours and shapes, I grew the old fashioned scabious from seed, and they are a beautiful blue and scented, the azalea flowered snapdragons (Madame Butterfly), produce tall, very pretty flowers, and I was surprised to find that nicotiana lime green lasts for ages in water. I have loads of gladioli (from the pound shop), and for the spring there are narcissi (cheerfulness which has a lovely scent), and the old fashione sweet williams. For a bit of drama you could grow sunflowers for cutting, and when they go over you can put the heads out for the birds to take the seeds.

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 11:11 »
I'm planning on growing cut flowers next year, I've roughly planned what I want to grow but I'm sure it'll be subject to change! I've ear marked a 1/4 of a plot.

This year I bought a load of cheap gladioli bulbs which I dotted around the cordon fruit trees.

The latest offering including some onions that had flowered. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 11:57 »
Wow, thanks for all the positive replies, ive been thinking about it now for months. I cant wait till next season now.
I was just concerned that someone might be moaning that its not veg im growing. Ive got two plots so have plenty of room for both flowers and veg.
Should anyone moan (hopefully no-one from here) then give 'em a verbal slap! Traditionally, allotments grew flowers as well as veg to help with pollination, as a hobby, for exhibitions or just for their sheer beauty and perfume. How wonderful to just give people a bouquet to make their day or for putting on graves because bought flowers can be expensive if you are on a small pension.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Anyone growing flowers on their veg plot

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 20:07
by Peterjohn
xx
Growing Courgettes - flowers ?

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 09:54
by mark.carline
xx
PSB plant growing yellow flowers....

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 14:13
by Benandbill
xx
Flowers on the plot

Started by Weedy Wonder on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 16:07
by Elcie

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 38 queries.