Physalis or cape gooseberry ??

• 10 Replies

Beetroot queen

Physalis or cape gooseberry ??
« on: August 01, 2009, 20:27 »
I picked up one of these today from the GC and the lady said "oh thats one of those plants that does the nice fruit you get on posh puds" her words not mine.

So I came home thinging great its a cape gooseberry, but I then found a packet of seeds and the picture looks nothing like my plant

So are they the same, do they spread as the lady seemed to think they did. They look similiar to bamboo canes very strange plant.

And if it is a cape gooseberry what do I need to keep it healthy and active, it was an impulse buy I actually went for an apple tree

DavidT

Re: Physalis or cape gooseberry ??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 20:45 »
Physalis IS Cape Gooseberry. In this country it`s treated as a half hardy annual. It is grown the same way as a Tomatoes, but it will take up much more space than Toms.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 20:53 »
A few years back I grew physalis in nthe greenhouse in the border soil. They ended up as a sort of thicket about four to five feet tall. Absolutely masses of fruit, which kept for ages. We had jam, fondant dipped ones (open up the papery shell first  :lol:) chocolate dipped, had them in curries, gave them away by the bagful................... and have never grown them again as they are so prolific I ran out of ideas what to do with them all.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 20:57 »
Being thick now

Half hardy annual does that mean its better in the poly tunnel, is it a one year plant. I know I am being blonde but I am only learning :blush:

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 21:30 »
You are not being thick at all BQ, An annual is a plant which flowers and fruits in the first year, a half hardy annual does the same but needs warmth and protection at the early part of the season. They also prefer to be grown under glass ( greenhouse ) or polythene (polytunnel ).

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 21:33 »
You are not being thick at all BQ, An annual is a plant which flowers and fruits in the first year, a half hardy annual does the same but needs warmth and protection at the early part of the season. They also prefer to be grown under glass ( greenhouse ) or polythene (polytunnel ).

They were outside at the GC which confused me, I will find space in the poly, thank you for the help. One day I wont ask such basic questions  :blink:

DavidT

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 21:48 »
BQ, if you dont ask the basics, you will never be a gardener. Keep talking. :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 21:52 »
I am growing these in the gh border this year.  Mine are very soft and have a downy fur all over them.  No signs of them growing into thickets of growth though!  :unsure:

I'm hoping they grow some more soon as I can't wait to try my own.  I want to be able to put some on the Christmas puds this year just to show off that I grew them!  :happy:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 08:29 »
I am growing these in the gh border this year.  Mine are very soft and have a downy fur all over them.  No signs of them growing into thickets of growth though!  :unsure:

I'm hoping they grow some more soon as I can't wait to try my own.  I want to be able to put some on the Christmas puds this year just to show off that I grew them!  :happy:

Thats why I am having a go, how posh  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 13:28 »
I grew some from seed this year and it is huge already, about 4' tall so far and still seems to be growing. Mine is outside and doing well. It's got loads of fruit on it but nothing ripe yet.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 19:11 »
So I've missed my chance to be posh then  :( :( :( with that bumper crop  :lol:

xx
Heritage Cape Gooseberry (Physalis Edulis)

Started by Ruth Cross on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 18:01
by flowerlady
xx
Physalis or Cape Gooseberries

Started by Veggie Virgin on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 22:29
by sclarke624
xx
cape gooseberry

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 21:12
by deedee71
clip
cape gooseberry

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2013, 15:21
by surbie100

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 28 queries.