squash f1 seeds

• 9 Replies

prakash_mib

squash f1 seeds
« on: May 06, 2010, 20:40 »
I picked up an f1 squash bush variety from the allotment, which was kept for free to good home. they are packed by hand by some allotmenteer. assuming that they were collected from the grown squash, will they produce if they are sown. I read somewhere in this forum that f1 seeds wont produce results if you preserve from the fruits.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

penance

Re: squash f1 seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 20:58 »
F1 varieties don't come true from seed.
So if it was a seed from a harvested F1 variety then chances are you won't end up with exactly the same fruit.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 20:59 »
You'll get squash from those seeds, but not the hybrid variety originally bred. It's highly unlikely the seed owner knew which 2 (or possibly up to 10) varieties were interbred to get that particular one, so what you now have are whatever  pollen the local bees brought to the plant.

Oddly enough, several not particularly great varieties are bred which produce a very desireable one, but from thereon you're likely to get one of the ugly ducklings.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:26 »
F1 is a first cross between 2 parents. Sometimes these can be distantly related and produce and F1 that is sterile and cannot form seeds (an example is you can breed a donkey and horse to get and F1 mule, but this is sterile). This is less common with plants, and unlikely with squashes that are famous for interbreeding. Most F1 plants are parents of known genes are bred to produce an F1 with known genes, giving a very standardised product. These often combine features present in the parents (one may be weak, disease prone, small and tasty, the other strong, large and taste horrible which are bred to get the best from both). Seed from the F1 could have any combination of these features. In addition (without getting into genetics) some characters are dominant over others and so you get 'unexpected' results- if you cross a hot and mild pepper the offspring will either be all mild or half and half, depending on the genetic of the mild parent.
Add to this that squashes will interbreed with any other squashes nearby, so yours may have also crossed with next door's marrow, you never know what you may get.
BUT if you have the space to spare, why not try? You may get a real winner, or a disaster.

Charlie

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:57 »

BUT if you have the space to spare, why not try? You may get a real winner, or a disaster.
Charlie
thanks charlie. Thats what I was worried abt exactly. I dont have any space and I want something to go between the rows of FEs and thought about this but since I am aching for space I would go for some other known disaster crops rather than this one.
Verdict
after the posts from people I am not sowing it

savbo

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:33 »
Hi - going off at a bit of a tangent, I noticed on a packet of mixed gourds from Lidl that there was one exactly like DD's weird hybrid (much pictured in previous threads) - half yellow, half green/striped...

I'd often wondered what mechanism would allow such a chimera to appear, given it should involve male and female gametes fusing to produce the seeds - so what dictates what the fruit is like? The genetics of the egg cell, the pollen or of the seeds inside?

I'm supposed to know a bit about biology but this one  has me stumped! 

prakash_mib

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 13:10 »
I would have thought all of them savbo. the F1 producers dont only produce good fruits from pollination but also from grafting. I remember we were taught (in india albeit) in biology, by grafting you get different colours, stripes etc on a hibiscus plant. dont know if this holds true for vegetables as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 13:16 »
Everything about the appearance of the plant which grows from a seed is programmed by the genes on the chromosomes which that particular seed "happened" to have inherited from its parents, and in the case of the extremely promiscuous squash family that can mean a great range of potential variations.

I think Chimaera explained it all very well; tricky subject!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 13:18 »
same as any biology really, the seeds have the mother plant's half and the pollen supplies the other half. Pollen sort of grows down from the stigma till it reaches a seed to fuse with. So any fruit is half mother and half father......but add to the mix the fact that some plants are fertilised with their own pollen.....self fertile  :)

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 13:42 »
I know what you mean- there are a lot of squashes with different ends of the fruit (such as in turk's turbans and various multicolour ornamentals). I am not sure how you could get a chimaera to pass from each generation though, although I am not an expert on this at all. It may be more likely that there are 1 or more genes that code for 'one end' of the fruit, which will give a regular fruit if not expressed, but a 'biform' one if they are.

Charlie

Given the space and time i'd love to cross breed various ornamental squash and see what I could come up with.

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Squash seeds.

Started by Martifromduram on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2014, 03:21
by Headgardener22
xx
saving squash seeds

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 13:53
by whiskywill
xx
OK to use seeds from last years squash?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 16:27
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 30 queries.