Squash seeds.

• 10 Replies

Martifromduram

Squash seeds.
« on: April 01, 2014, 16:09 »
Hi all, last year I purchased some squash from lidl to make some soup and kept n dried out some seeds which I've just planted in cells today.

Has anybody got any advice or experience from doing this?

Thanks, Marti.

Headgardener22

Re: Squash seeds.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 16:28 »
Not these in particular, but:

If they were F1 hybrid they obviously won't come true; and

I believe that squashes and pumpkins cross easily so there's a strong chance that you won't get the same as you've grown before. (When I did something similar a couple of years ago with some butternut squashes, I ended up with a range of different things, some good, some not so good).

Its always worth a try but if you want these in particular, I would recommend using fresh seed.

Martifromduram

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 17:02 »
Thanks headgardener, haven't got a cLue what variety they are yet alone if they are f1s! They were jus sold loose in the supermarket, about 6 different types. Will post updates as things progress.

Marti.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 17:08 »
You will no doubt have a wide range of fruits at the end of the season, Marti ... some will be delicious, and some may be woody or have tasteless flesh.

I like squashes a lot, and we rely on them as a bit of a winter and spring staple so prefer to grow those that come true. I don't really have space to experiment, but if you do, then I wish you luck with them.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 18:25 »
If you have spare space to see what they produce then do it... but if you are short of space then grow from proper squash seed because you may get rubbish from them.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

diospyros

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 19:46 »
Also, depending on what country they came from, they may not be very happy in our climate/shorter growing season.  But who cares, it's fun growing things for free!

Martifromduram

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 20:26 »
When in the Czech last year I saw similar squashes growing in people's gardens that's what intrigued me to keep the seed, I therefore presume they will prefer a warmer climate than the north east of England, there's no cost but time so why not. If they germinate I plan to grow them vertically, trained up some pig netting. Anybody got any advice there?

gobs

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 20:44 »
Heavy.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 20:47 »
When in the Czech last year I saw similar squashes growing in people's gardens that's what intrigued me to keep the seed, I therefore presume they will prefer a warmer climate than the north east of England, there's no cost but time so why not. If they germinate I plan to grow them vertically, trained up some pig netting. Anybody got any advice there?

Most squashes are vine type so they can normally climb up and through and out and back again on almost any type of structure... Mine grow on my security panels surrounding my allotment.. and through the sweetcorn and the .... everything else..

Martifromduram

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 00:26 »
Thanks for the advice.

Headgardener22

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 03:21 »
I put pig netting over pallets last year, the pig netting to climb and the pallets for strength. Seemed to work well, I got a better crop than normal and much less slug damage. (It could of course have been the season :)). But I plan to do the same again this year and include the rambling courgettes.

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
squash f1 seeds

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 13:42
by chimaera
xx
Squash and cucumber seeds

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2023, 09:03
by coldandwindy
xx
butternut squash seeds

Started by jackiestagg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 21:27
by milkman

Page created in 0.764 seconds with 36 queries.