Lemon tree mania

• 5 Replies
Lemon tree mania
« on: November 29, 2009, 19:13 »
I'm interested in learning more about expected fruit crops from a Lemon tree. About 18 months ago we had the white beetle infestation others talk about on this site, treated it and generally didn't look after the tree much after that. In fact if social services existed for the plant kingdom we'd now be residing at her Majestys pleasure.

Instead of rewarding our negligence with a sulking barreness year on year, we have just finished round 1 having harvested 30 + full grown fragrent lemons and have been delighted if slightly bemused to count a further 30 + well on their way to fruition, with plenty more flowers threatening to join their siblings.

Not that we're complaining but there are hardly any leaves on the plant and it appears to have a one track mind to progenate, which defies other posts I've found that suggest (in Surrey) that a handful would be considered overwhelming.

Even travelling in Turkey and Greece I don't recall seeing these trees so overburdened and am intrigued to know if anoyone thinks this is abnormal (as everyone does who sees it here) and if there is any explanation than could be transplanted to other species.

It's generally been left outside with the odd spell in a conservatory.

Nick

DavidT

Re: Lemon tree mania
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 19:25 »
Evening Nick and welcome to the site. I would say the plant is dying and is trying to produce seed. Strip all the fruit and flowers off the plant and let it get it`s strength back. Feed it and nurture it, THEN let it fruit, but only 5 or 6 lemons at a time.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 19:31 »
Hi Nick

Would you like to pop into the Welcome to the Forums section and introduce yourself  :D

Always good to know something about members  :D :D

I'm sure you'll get lots of replies re your lemon tree query as well  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 20:05 »
Thanks Sunshineband will do - can you point me to where I do that (apologies for lack of forum navgational ability - new to this)

David T - is the "going to seed" you describe something we could perpetuate ad infinitum as the regular supply of G&T accoutrements is a bonus and we rather prefer the preponderance of yellow globes to extensive foliage of which there is aplenty elsewhere.

Is there anyway we can keep it teetering on the brink of production without succumbing to eventual deterioration?

Nick

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 20:10 »
Click on Forum Home and then choose the Welcome to the Forums option Nick, and away you go  :)

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 20:25 »
[quote
Is there anyway we can keep it teetering on the brink of production without succumbing to eventual deterioration?

Nick

[/quote]

Don`t abuse the plant for your own satisfaction, buy another one and farm them properly. :D

question
Lemon tree

Started by Walfre on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2015, 19:17
by SusieB
xx
Should I pot on my lemon tree

Started by JT101 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 19:19
by arugula
xx
Lemon tree up north

Started by mamalovesmambo on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post December 09, 2007, 21:35
by Cynara
xx
What type of lemon tree?

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 01:46
by kennykoala

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 34 queries.