What type of lemon tree?

• 3 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
What type of lemon tree?
« on: June 04, 2009, 16:33 »
Hi all

I am looking to get a lemon tree and thought i'd ask if anyone could suggest a good type to try - i was looking at the Meyer?.

I had a lemon tree that i unforunately lost during the winter, it had a bug that took over it, i still dont know what it was but i want to try again.

I have a greenhouse where it could go during the winter, so will need to be potted so that i can move it outside when the weathers warmer.

There is a man locally selling them for £12 for 2 in one pot and thought i might have a go, could anyone suggest a specific lemon tree to go for thats maybe hardier?

Thanks

SG6

Re: What type of lemon tree?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 18:34 »
Have a look at:
www.citruscentre.co.uk
They sell a few varieties and you can read about the different ones.
Not sure that it covers the temperature that they can withstand.

calibra

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 00:52 »
I would avoid the meyer lemon, 2 reasons.....it tastes bad, not like a lemon its a natural cross between lemon and an orange so is a bit sweeter than a lemon should be, and in the winter the meyer is one of the hardest to keep going as it likes its roots warmer than most citrus, most like 70F root temperature, meyer like close to 80F they ae one of the worst citrus plants for keeping the leaves over the winter, if they loose there leaves they tend to die from overwatering afterwards

For a normal lemon tree i would get a eureka lemon, they grow well and are the one you tend to get large lemons in the shops,  lisbon lemons seem ok as well but slightly smaller fruit ,i kept a fully grown lisbon lemon outdoors all winter with christmass lights and frost cloth and it was fine even in the cold this year

I have had decent trees from loads of places, seagrave nurseries, global orange groves, the citrus center, they all seem good trees

kennykoala

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 01:46 »
g,day janie i av a meyer which is contiually fruiting threw out the year,best i av ever bought,you say you av green house why not plant your lemon roots inside green house and av the trunk coming outside,same applys to grape vines.also where it comes out off green house build leanto of shade cloth to protect from frost.taste meyer is semie sweet personal prefrance on that.but lots of luck.kenny seeya. ;)
g,day from d/under I love my vegie patch,

question
Lemon tree

Started by Walfre on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2015, 19:17
by SusieB
xx
Should I pot on my lemon tree

Started by JT101 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 19:19
by arugula
xx
Lemon tree up north

Started by mamalovesmambo on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post December 09, 2007, 21:35
by Cynara
xx
Lemon Tree advice please

Started by Optimistic Gardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 02, 2012, 11:11
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 36 queries.