Shiny paper and card for composting?

• 7 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Shiny paper and card for composting?
« on: May 11, 2010, 13:30 »
Does anyone know what's in it when it's shiny?

I bought a shredder (yes I know - I love my gadgets and new toys).  Got one that will take 20 heets, staples, CDs, credit cards etc hoping it would be man enough for cardboard too.  And whoopee - it is.

But should or should I compost the shiny stuff?  The jury is still out on the washing poweder box and the cat pouches box.

madcat

Re: Shiny paper and card for composting?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 13:59 »
I ripped up and composted everything vaguely paper /cardboard last year.  Digging it out this spring - the shiny faced cardboard (cat pouches/munchies, washing powder etc) hadnt rotted very well and the top layer of the cardboard was mostly intact.  Easy to spot and bin tho', so not a real problem.  It might be more of a problem if it is shredded.

However - top tip here - our compost bins are made of pallets and we have an everlasting problem with things burrowing in and falling out through the gaps.  We lined one of the bins with the shiny cardboard - very roughly you understand, no origami here - and it worked a treat.  The compost in the bin was better (warmer?) and the beasties less inclined to burrow in (cardboard not as tempting?).  Didn't look lovely to start with, but then it doesn't when there are bits trying to fall out, and since the shiny stuff was all round the outside, it was dead easy (for me) to pick out.

Oh yes - do you have the dried cat food boxes?  The fox digs the cardboard from them out - it has to be buried deep so he cant smell it.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 23:11 »
The shiny paper and board is coated with barium sulphate and china clay among other things. It may also be varnished to give a gloss surface. The varnish will contain various hydrocarbons and solvents. I tend not to compost such material but ordinary printed matter is OK. The inks used on food packaging are quite harmless so use these if you are at all worried.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:30 »
Knew there was a good reason why I put all my shiny paper stuff into the recycle box  ;) I don't even burn it in the woodstove.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 07:54 »
Thanks everyone.  I guess the shiny stuff will have to stay off-limits.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 07:51 »
But it's fine if you decide to start a bonfire for some reason. Shiny for bonfire, the rest for compost is my rule.

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:28 »
I compost everything except the ones where you can peel off the shiny layer as a thin sheet of plastic, typical example is toothpaste tube boxes (environmental note, why do they need a box?). The most annoying stuff is the ticker tape you produce from window envelopes that aren't cellophane but I don't think it does any harm. Like others I just pick out obvious pieces like tape and labels off boxes when I am using the compost and put them on the bonfire pile. I don't believe any chemicals involved can be significant.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 08:31 »
Ha - you can be sure if I start a bonfire my neighbour will complain to the council  :tongue2: :D

xx
Tomatoes with dull (non shiny) skins

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2021, 08:23
by swaine
xx
Covering with card

Started by gathsman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 25, 2012, 21:06
by gathsman
xx
'Confidential' paper

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 18:38
by Munchkin
xx
news paper

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 18:11
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 33 queries.