Why have my chooks started being noisy?

• 6 Replies

jinty1911

Why have my chooks started being noisy?
« on: January 24, 2011, 19:33 »
They have been really quiet up til a few days ago and now they have started making a right racket.  At first I thought it was the egg song but today it happened 6 times and was really loud (I was out from 1 - till 3, so dont know if they were at it then).  I only have 3 and 1 is broody and got 2 eggs so it's not that. We sat and cringed at the week-end every time it started hoping the neighbours didnt hear them. They free range round the garden and have plenty to do. Any suggestions?     

Springlands

Re: Why have my chooks started being noisy?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 20:08 »
Mine usually make more noise if there are any birds about (especially big birds like magpies or blackbirds) or if the neighbourhood cat comes a calling. Could it be something like that.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 13:25 »
One of my 2 has been making a bit of a racket recently. Like you I cringe every time I hear it and have visions of troops of neighbours & council officials knocking at the door demading that I remove them!

Mine are kept in a run and I let them out when I can to free range and it is when she is in the run that she sounds off - as soon as they are out it stops. Are yours free or in a run?
Helen

kellym

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 13:32 »
mine do this also, they are proper little attention seekers lol as soon as they hear me in the kitchen they are at it, swalking as loud as they can untill i go and say hello  :nowink:

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 13:35 »
mine do this also, they are proper little attention seekers lol as soon as they hear me in the kitchen they are at it, swalking as loud as they can untill i go and say hello  :nowink:

I am trying not to pander to them too much as I have found that otherwise they quickly learn how effective it is!

SocksOn

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 13:39 »
mine do this too sometimes, mostly it seems to be excitement when they hear my little boys voice or the effect of the birds

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 21:01 »
One of my 2 has been making a bit of a racket recently. Like you I cringe every time I hear it and have visions of troops of neighbours & council officials knocking at the door demading that I remove them!

Mine are kept in a run and I let them out when I can to free range and it is when she is in the run that she sounds off - as soon as they are out it stops. Are yours free or in a run?

No, they are out and usually round about the hen house, on top of it peering in the dining room window  but sometimes just in garden.
Jinty

xx
Exceedingly noisy chooks

Started by chookaburra on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 21:43
by chooksbury
xx
So noisy

Started by slowef on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 07:03
by Aunt Sally
xx
very noisy hen

Started by DavenJu on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 09:55
by Beakybird
xx
Very noisy Hen!!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 20:29
by mountainvicar

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 32 queries.