Exceedingly noisy chooks

• 5 Replies

chookaburra

Exceedingly noisy chooks
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:24 »
My two chookies have started being extremely noisy first thing in the morning - from laying eggs regularly they now don't lay at all - as I'm new to all of this, is there something I should be aware of, to look for, or am I worrying unnecessarily?
Owned by two tom cats, two chooks and Steptoe xxx

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Re: Exceedingly noisy chooks
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:44 »
Hi Chookaburra, you have my sympathies! I have an orpington bantam which has just started laying and she started talking incessantly from about two weeks before - and she still won't shut up! She is worse if she sees me or is just about to lay. Maybe yours are coming in to lay and letting you know! I'm only a newbie but got lots of advice from more experienced members and the other thing I was told to look for was frequent visiting of the coop and red comb and wattles. I have a second girl getting ready but at least she's quieter! :blush:

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:23 »
our one laying hen is very verbal on the days she lays, to let you know she is going to lay, then to let you know she has layed.
lots of pure bred hens have some time off in the winter, most lay according to the amount of daylight, so they have a break in the winter, lots of hybrids will keep on laying through the winter, just take an egg as a bonus through the winter.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:53 »
I have just one noisy hen ... what a squawk! But she seems quieter now they've been with us for a while.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 20:26 »
some of my girls are really noisey....i guess its just different characters, like humans...some are shy, some are not! :lol:

chooksbury

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 21:43 »
 :)  Honey they're just trying to drown out the rusty bandsaw going through a frozen turnip .. for the uninitiated, that's how Chookaburra's singing was once described (though it isn't anywhere near THAT bad !  :tongue2: )  Or perhaps because you named your girls Frigg and Freya, they're gearing up to sing Die Nieblung ... "oh Brunhilde .. wuvverwy wabbit .."

Lucy is extremely operatic.  Ours are so loud they scare me ... but fortunately, nobody has complained ...YET

xx
Why have my chooks started being noisy?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 21:01
by jinty1911
xx
very noisy hen

Started by DavenJu on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 09:55
by Beakybird
xx
Very noisy Hen!!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 20:29
by mountainvicar
xx
noisy hen

Started by LadyPlod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 11:46
by LadyPlod

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 28 queries.