neglected raspberries

• 5 Replies

2 muddy boots

neglected raspberries
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:44 »
Hi all

I'm still digging away at my weedy plot but I've come across 4 raspberry canes.  My daughter tells me they were given to her 2 years ago so she planted them but then she didn't have time to nurture them.  I've cut the weeds down from around them but they have grown along the ground and through the weeds.  It seems a shame to dig them up and throw them away as they look quite healthy but I'm unsure about cutting them right back to the ground and also whether I ought to move them.  They are about 2 foot from a high hedge so won't get a lot of sun on one side.

I would appreciate some advice please.

2 muddy boots

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
neglected raspberries
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:37 »
What you do with them depends on the variety. I don't suppose you know if they are summer or autumn fruiting ones do you?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

2 muddy boots

neglected raspberries
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:38 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
What you do with them depends on the variety. I don't suppose you know if they are summer or autumn fruiting ones do you?

I have no idea what they are Dave.  They certainly haven't fruited this year.

DD.

• Global Moderator
neglected raspberries
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:54 »
Problem is with autumn fruiting ones, you cut off all the canes when they've done their business. With the summer ones, you have to cut out the old canes and leave the new one.

If you can' I'd be inclined to leave them where they are for now, do nothing with them, and hopefully they will fruit next year now they can breath. The time of fruiting will tell you what sort they are.

2 muddy boots

neglected raspberries
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 14:10 »
Problem is with autumn fruiting ones, you cut off all the canes when they've done their business. With the summer ones, you have to cut out the old canes and leave the new one.

If you can' I'd be inclined to leave them where they are for now, do nothing with them, and hopefully they will fruit next year now they can breath. The time of fruiting will tell you what sort they are.

Thanks Dave.  I'll just put some posts and wire up for them and keep fingers crossed for some fruit next year.  Would it be a good idea to put some mower clippings around them or some sort of fertiliser.

DD.

• Global Moderator
neglected raspberries
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 14:18 »
Quote from: "2 muddy boots"

Thanks Dave.  I'll just put some posts and wire up for them and keep fingers crossed for some fruit next year.  Would it be a good idea to put some mower clippings around them or some sort of fertiliser.

Some manure & a mulch would not come amiss!

xx
neglected strawberries

Started by jevennett on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 15:58
by Trillium
xx
Neglected pear trees

Started by Selkie on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 20:50
by Selkie
xx
neglected apple tree

Started by gurtie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 19:12
by savbo
xx
Old neglected Apple trees - what to do?

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 11:48
by Ema

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 28 queries.