Old neglected Apple trees - what to do?

• 3 Replies

thestens

• Experienced Member
Old neglected Apple trees - what to do?
« on: September 26, 2014, 23:28 »
We have recently moved to a house with a veg garden which has been unused for many years. It has 3 big old Apple trees, which this year have had some fruit but mostly small and a bit scabby looking. The biggest fruit is at the top of the trees and pretty unreachable. Is there anything we can do to improve the quality and quantity next year? What would happen if we drastically shortened the trees to make them more accessible? Or should we just plant some new ones 
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Old neglected Apple trees - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 23:55 »
I would try to prune them over 2-3 years (don't do it all at once or you'll probably shock the tree).

You can be relatively assertive with the pruning but leave it until the end of the year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 00:15 »
It depends on the actual age of the trees. I have a big old cooker in a similar state to yours: small scabby apples at the top of the tree and not many of them. As far as I can ascertain it's around 60 years old, so nearing the end of its life. It will be coming down this winter to be replaced with two smaller trees which will, hopefully, give me decent crops for years to come.

Ema

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 11:48 »
I would try to revive them, prune off any damage wood this year and open out the middle a bit, next year maybe reduce the height a bit and shape. Remove all the weeds from underneath and give it a good mulch with some well rotted muck this winter.

If you don't see some improvements over the next 3-4 years then chop it down.

Also your local animal shelter will appreciate the branches for the rabbits.

xx
Neglected minarette apple trees

Started by SouP on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 07:51
by SouP
xx
Neglected pear trees

Started by Selkie on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 20:50
by Selkie
xx
neglected apple tree

Started by gurtie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 19:12
by savbo
xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener

Page created in 0.614 seconds with 28 queries.