Jam Making function on Bread Maker?

• 13 Replies

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« on: December 26, 2008, 11:22 »
As anyone done this? How do you know if there's sufficient pectin to get a good set?
Val
Recipes Galore!

Poolfield2

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 17:42 »
I have to say Val, I wasn't that impressed, the microwave version worked better for me if I was only doing small quantities. Also not impressed with cakes in the breadmaker.

Val H

• Recipes
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 19:34 »
Bread Maker was a x-mas present from daughter. Not tried it at all yet! Was just curious about the jam function. Can't see how you can ensure a good set if you can't test for pectin content. My avatar is called Girl in a Green Pot - just liked it when flicking through Avatarist. Probably change it again :roll:  :roll:  :roll: .

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 20:27 »
I think Aidy mentioned making jam in a breadmaker and I'm sure it was positive comments, so maybe I'm to blame not the breadmaker. My machine has certainly been busy over Christmas, trying to keep up with the appetite of a 6'6" son :roll: If you are not satisfied with the bread that you get from your machine, I have a recipe that seems to work in all machines and will happily send it to you.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 16:43 »
My Mum laughed @ me when I got a breadmaker 4 years ago - perhaps more!  She was a serious 3lbs of flour, rise by the aga, no messing breadmaker and didnt get the point of a breadmaker.  Now in a modern house, without an airing cupboard and with a noisy oven, her breadmaker is her new best friend.  

Cakes aren't great, because of the paddle (but they'll do at a push when you want something for the cake tin with minimum input)  but makes excellent gingerbread and malt loaf.  And the dough setting makes turning out rolls a doddle.

If you want some recipes for day to day and specials, just let me know.  But mostly have a play! :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 17:42 »
yo I am here poolie  :wink:  just woke up from my Christmas hangover  :drunken:  Yes Val I have done several Jams, the first batch was not good, very runny (blackcurrant) I experimented with the amount of sugar to get the desired consistency here is the link.. http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=20343&highlight=black+currant+jam
Its not as easy as the breadmaking.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 18:25 »
2 paracetamol, 2 pints of water and 2 nights sleep and you'll be like new Aidy :lol:  :lol:

Val H

• Recipes
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 21:11 »
I've a feeling I'll be using it more on the Dough setting than anything else. The jam setting - may try but I usually make jams and jellies in large amounts, about 6 or 7 lbs, and even more when I'm doing marmalades, which is the next thing. Just curious. Will let you know how I get along with my first lot of bread by machine - I'm very "old school" and have always done it by kneading, knocking back, kneading again etc. but, as this is so time consuming, must admit to not always making my own. I do quite like the idea of pressing a button and letting it get on with it!

Poolfield2

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 21:23 »
It's also much cheaper than heating an oven to cook bread unless you manage to cook it at the same time as something else. I love making sour dough bread but do resent using the oven to bake it and I haven't managed to work out how to do it in the breadmaker.

Val H

• Recipes
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 21:51 »
Must stick the power metering device on the Bread Maker when I use it to check just how much electricity it uses. I suppose I could then calculate how much it would cost to make a loaf in the oven (gas). I do tend to use the oven to capacity though. Batch cook meals etc, like 4 lasagnes or 2 loaves of bread and 2 lasagnes. Was defeated by Anne's turkey, it practically touched the sides and was the only thing that could be cooked in it!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 20:37 »
I worked out for the french style of bread I make, ingredients+ energy was around 52p per loaf, that was back in Feb. You will find the time setting superb, set over night (energy cheaper) and wake up to a fresh loaf. Nothing better.

matron

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 13:55 »
I love my breadmaker and I am on my second one as the first one I found a little small. It is on at the moment and at approx 4pm I am expecting a lovely fresh loaf just in time for tea.  :lol:  :lol:

Riala

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 16:25 »
Mine is used daily for bread, or for dough, but i am too scared to try the Jam function!

Val H

• Recipes
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 17:12 »
I've decided to miss that function as well! Are eating our second loaf though.

xx
Panasonic bread maker

Started by norfolkgrog on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 22:52
by sunshineband
xx
Making bread

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 15:20
by Trillium
xx
Bread making

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 06:57
by kevinp
xx
Bread-making machine...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2023, 12:40
by Growster...

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 37 queries.