i killed my seedlings

• 7 Replies

jlb664

i killed my seedlings
« on: May 05, 2008, 22:56 »
i planted some tomato seedlings, they germinated, i took out the weaker ones and the stronger ones grew - i put them outside on a sunny day and fed them with tomato food - then next morning all but one were basically dead - i feel murderous

weeeed

i killed my seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 23:01 »
Ah bless! It's called killing with kindness. Don't feed before the flowers are present and don't leave them in the open before the frosts finish. You can still plant more now. Do you have any seeds left? :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
i killed my seedlings
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 23:02 »
Ive really struggled with my tomato seedlings..its the first time Ive grown them (tumbling toms) and out of 15 seeds only 2 germinated, so Ive shoved another 8 in today.  They were in an unheated but sunny greenhouse so that didnt help; maybe Ill have more luck this time as the weather forecast looks great (YAY!)
I did pot the two that germinated into the hanging baskets today, and Im hoping they'll romp away now
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
i killed my seedlings
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 23:03 »
These may be silly questions, but I assume you brought them back in overnight & diluted the feed?

Tomatoes at this stage do not need feed, but this should not have killed them if mixed according to directions.

Were they single in pots etc.... any other information?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jlb664

i killed my seedlings
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 23:19 »
Yes I brought them in at night - and yes the fed was diluted but probably too strong - ONE survived - about two inches tall now - i have put it in a hanging basket with some garden centre bought tumblers - i have sown a lot more plus some peppers and they have all germinated to about one inch now - so fingers crossed

DD.

• Global Moderator
i killed my seedlings
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 06:54 »
They'll soon catch up.

I make no excuses for pointing you to this post, will hopefully help you grow some sturdy plants!..........

Aluminium Foil

Don't feed until the the first fruit have set, or you're be putting the plants energy into the foiliage.

DD.

• Global Moderator
i killed my seedlings
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 06:56 »
Welcome back BTW - we've not seen you for 10 months - trust you've been busy on that plot!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
i killed my seedlings
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 09:17 »
were they covered in the house? as I know someone that had them covered when they were 6inch tall and then took the lid off stuck them outside on a sunny day and boom all dead hours later, shrivelled up and curled leaves.

xx
I think I killed them!!

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 18:02
by BestBreast
xx
how do i tell if the frost has killed them off???

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 23:54
by Dan78
clip
Have I killed another crown?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 23:01
by surbie100
question
What have you had killed this year ?

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 16, 2021, 13:51
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 32 queries.