What have you had killed this year ?

• 24 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
What have you had killed this year ?
« on: August 10, 2021, 14:08 »
After harvesting about 60 mini cucumbers.  I think I’ve lost my plants to red spider mite  :mad: I’ve pruned off all the affected parts and left the growing tips.  Ordered some predators to let loose in the greenhouse too.  Fingers crossed  :wacko:

My outdoor tomatoes have been hit by blight. First time ever in my garden  :mad:   I’ve saved about half of the crop and hope some may ripen off the plant.  Maybe a faint hope  >:(

D3B6DF94-5F94-4956-8B4A-F9CBBB1FBFAA.jpeg
496F938E-77A0-45AF-8182-5499B2BB66A1.jpeg

Growster...

Re: What have you had killed this year ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 15:03 »
Aunt, my sympathies!

It's a real struggle this year isn't it! It's not been helped by having the awful EU banning 'substances' everywhere, well last year anyway, when all the farmers use the stuff with gay abandon, but this summer is a real challenge.

You're among chums here of course! I have to go out and check 'the kids' every morning to see if we're blighted, and chums just down the road have lost the lot, which is unbearable!

I really do believe that we have to get back to some of the old remedies to stop all this! I expect lots of friends here will disagree, but for goodness sake, if we spend a year doing things to be self-sufficient, then we need all the help we can get!

Stay in there Gal!

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 15:27 »
My artichoke plant has been got at by something,not sure what, and it has bitten the dust.  Second one this has happened to.
Couldn't see anything eating it.
Carrots, PSB got at by slugs.
Pigeons had a go dive bombing the tall peas so had to net them.  They ate all the strawberries before I noticed too

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 16:01 »
Bad luck Aunty.
Here, tons of stuff got slugged this year, lost count of how many runner bean seeds I've started, with just a few plants making it - never known a year like it!! Today on the plot my row of dwarf French beans (sown to replace the runners) have also disappeared from under netting, despite slug pellets ::)  so they've had them as well  :mad:
Lost a few plot toms, to blight, but those protected from the wind by debris netting, are still going strong. Good job, because, at home,  the greenhouse plants nearest to the doors have got it as well *sigh*
For the 3rd year running I've lost the greenhouse grapes to mildew, because I had to shut the doors during the storms. I'll give up with it, I think - more trouble than it's worth.
Tayberry and Loganberry crop just shrivelled on the vine during the hot spell, despite some watering :(

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 16:10 »
Pretty much all of my spring onions  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Tomatoes at home (only 4 plants) showing signs of blight but have taken off the affected leaves. I only grow Crimson Crush outside on the plot and the ones in the PT are at present OK.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 17:37 »
I spy lovely, decent gardeners here...

Zap the s*ds, spread the weedkiller etc., and forget restrictions whenever you can, otherwise, we're becoming brainwashed by the useful idiots who claim to know more than us!

How on earth can a pillock in deepest London's concrete hierarchy know what real gardeners do and think?

I certainly take no notice of any of the bulls***t chucked at me by politicians.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 21:39 »
Steady Mr G.  You don’t want Aunty to sit you on the naughty step, do you :ohmy:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 00:31 »
Growster, I hear your frustration, but not all solutions are black and white.

Chemicals sure have their place, but so do organic solutions (example, Aunty turning predators loose on her spider mites). The solution is a sensible middle ground. My son studies this at uni, it's called integrated pest management (or just IPM). Use organic controls if possible, stronger measures when you have to. This approach actually allows BOTH methods to work better.  Use chemicals less often, and the diseases and pests are less likely to build up a tolerance. My son works in peach orchards, there is an amazing array of predators that will manage most of the pests as long as they have the right conditions (correct ground cover for example), can encourage tiger beetles, which are voracious predators on other insects; spraying would be counter-productive in such cases.  But, might be needed at other times.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 02:11 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 06:11 »
This year, for new gardeners especially, has been a rotten introduction to what should be a rewarding hobby and a lifeline for some, There will be so many good people put off growing stuff which is such a great pity, and it takes several years to build up a passion for providing one's own vegetables and flowers - they 'don't grow overnight'!

Regulations are maybe all well and good for the next generation, but for gardeners in their autumn years, who have a wealth of experience, the practice of keeping problems at bay is all-important, and seeing so much failure and frustration isn't good policy as far as I'm concerned!

Luckily, we can all agree to disagree sometimes, but this next couple of months will have to make a heck of a difference!

Christine

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 08:38 »
Unfortunately there's no cure that we gardeners have for unreliable weather. Now that's not a climate change discussion - just a comment that gardeners have been groaning about the weather whatever it's been all my rather long life.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 09:44 »
Unfortunately there's no cure that we gardeners have for unreliable weather. Now that's not a climate change discussion - just a comment that gardeners have been groaning about the weather whatever it's been all my rather long life.
This does seem to be the least rewarding summer's growing that I can remember, though. Seems to have been a rough year for bees and wasps, as well - plus although we had a lot of birds/nests earlier in the year, things seem to be pretty quiet now  :(

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 12:40 »
I've killed both my climbing and dwarf French beans which is a first, and got a mix of blossom end rot and greenback on my toms.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 13:04 »
Rabbits eating my beetroot leaves, lettuce, runner beans, French beans, radish attacked by slugs too. Haven’t seen too many asparagus beetles though. HH
Keep digging

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 09:07 »
Bonus extra some of my outdoor tomatoes at home have succumbed to blight   :ohmy:
HH

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 11:32 »
Bonus extra some of my outdoor tomatoes at home have succumbed to blight   :ohmy:
HH

I know how you feel  :(

xx
I think I killed them!!

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 18:02
by BestBreast
xx
Have I killed my plum

Started by st0ne5ish on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 12:57
by st0ne5ish
clip
Have I killed another crown?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 23:01
by surbie100
xx
how do i tell if the frost has killed them off???

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 23:54
by Dan78

Page created in 1.582 seconds with 53 queries.