Help...shes rattles when she breathes

• 7 Replies

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
Help...shes rattles when she breathes
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:32 »
ive just let my girls out and one of them is really rattling when she breathes, she was fine last night, she was sitting on my leg eating mealworms. what do i do, im so worried. will the other catch her cold? should i bring her indoors?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:35 by needssomehelp »
LISA X X X

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help...shes rattles when she breathes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:44 »
when did you last worm them? Is she snotty or bubbly eyed? Is there any dust in the coop or a build up of pooh?
Staffies are softer than you think.

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:59 »
they were just wormed when i got them so i was told by the seller to do them in 6 months which will be the end of this month/beginning of next, no i cant see any snot or bubbles, coop was cleaned out weekend using soft bed, so could be a little dust if they are kicking it around, but not had a problem before. defo no build up of poo either.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:09 »
if she is still rattling now she is out in the open then perhaps a trip to the vets to see if she needs a course of anti biotics or to get the vet to check for gape worm. If her rattle has gone now she is out in the open then it could be dustor an allergy to the bedding. Is there good ventilation (above head height) in your coop?

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:21 »
I'm not familiar with "soft bed" but is it dust extracted?  I cleaned my girls coop out yesterday (they are on "deep litter" so I only give it a proper clean out once a month), and I was amazed at how dusty everything was, even though at first glance everything looked "normal"

So, if she is wheezing first thing in the morning, it could be a reaction to the disturbed bedding, but if she is still wheezing this afternoon, after time in the fresh air, I would think about making an appointment at the vet.  If you do get antibiotics, you will have to treat everyone, just to be on the safe side. :)

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:56 »
to my relief ive just been out to see her and the rattling has completely stopped, thank god for that. think it may be dust then, perhaps because i cleaned them out weekend and it was fresh bedding, they do kick it around when they have been cleaned, their in there kicking it around even before ive finished. i will keep my eye on them maybe need to change the bedding?

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 12:06 »
to my relief ive just been out to see her and the rattling has completely stopped, thank god for that. think it may be dust then, perhaps because i cleaned them out weekend and it was fresh bedding, they do kick it around when they have been cleaned, their in there kicking it around even before ive finished. i will keep my eye on them maybe need to change the bedding?

You may need to pick her up and hold your ear next to her as it sounds like it could potentially be an lower respiratory infection which I've found extremely difficult to eliminate even with a/bs.  The lack of sneezing, runny nose eyes, bubbles in the eyes tends to suggest that it isn't an upper resiratory infection like mycoplasma.  Dust could be a cause and you need to keep dust down in a house as it is not only an irritant of the airways but a speck of dust can carry hundreds of viruses and is a well known vector for infections.

Some people advocate using dusting powders in the house a as well as using Diatomaceous Earth to control red mite and lice etc.  Personally I try and avoid dust in confined poorly ventillated areas.  I do use DE but paint it on as a creamy slurry (I add it to a disinfectant base of Vanodine V18 disinfectant) as it sticks to surfaces without causing as much airbourne dust.

Keep her under observation and use your ear up close to her as well as feeling her neck for gurgling.
HF
Truth through science.

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 06:51 »
thanks HF, i was in and out of the garden all day yesterday, i kept on picking her up and listening, but i cant hear anything, so i am hoping she  is ok. i have let them out this morning and theres nothing so fingers crossed  :) BUT i will be keeping a very close eye on her.  xx

question
4 sneezing hens + rooster! UPDATE!! Now terrible rattles and wheezing! HELP!

Started by freebirdy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 13:53
by kegs
xx
Shes looking up =D

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 21:30
by WR1
xx
Geeses - Shes a he!

Started by wildwitchy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 09, 2010, 15:09
by ruralczech
xx
not sure of shes sick

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 18:23
by karlooben

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 34 queries.