Under weight and Fussy Feeders

• 20 Replies

Newt

Re: Under weight and Fussy Feeders
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 19:22 »
Our's went through a phase of not eating dry pellets, we had to mix them with water to form a mash. I've seen that you've tried this already with no sucess, but have you tried making a mash, then adding stuff like grated apple, crushed meal worms etc, and mixing it well so them can't pick out the bits they like discarding the rest.  If I have a cracked/dropped egg or a soft shell I mix this in aswell.

I hope their appetite for layers returns soon.

ChrisAndrews

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 19:10 »
Ok,

So have now tried on 3 different brands of pellets, also on mash and crumbs and she is not eating any.

I have relented in the last 2 days and started feeding corn as she has lost over half a kilo in weight.  Shes seems delighted to have been given corn after starving herself for so long.

I guess the question now is, whats a balanced diet for a chicken if you feed them no rations at all?

Casey76

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 08:29 »
Are the others eating layers?

Do you have a broody coop or similar you could put her in?

I would be tempted to isolate her, where she cannot free range and for a little while give her a mix of wheat, crumbled hard boiled eggs and a tablespoon of beef cat food mixed with a little cider vinegar and warm water.  Weigh it specifically before you give it to her, and you can weigh it again on an evening to see how much she is eating.

If you can keep her in the dark/semi dark it will discourage her from laying (if she still is).

ChrisAndrews

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 15:02 »
Ok Thanks Casey.  I don't have a broody, but i can probably knock one up with all the spare bricks in the garden and a large cardboard box.

She's not laying so thats not so much of an issue.  so I'll try isolation and your food combo and see how we go.

sjlatty

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 17:50 »
Hi I have very fussy eaters trying to get my chicks to eat their grower pwllets but they are refusing to eat them they don't have access to any other food I have mixed chick food and growers for a while as recomended, sprinkled some on the floor to encourage them its now the 2nd day and they are crying and frantically scratching around. I have periodically put a bit of growers in their feeder to encourage them. I know they are hungry but still no luck.  I have read many froums on this and they say they will eat it eventually, does anyone know how long it's going to take?  Thanks in advance

Casey76

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 12:37 »
Hi sjlatty :)  Try breaking the growers pellets up a little with a blender or mortar and pestle (or whack them with a rolling pin in a plastic bag will do!) to break them into smaller pieces for a while, before slowly introducing larger and larger pellets.

The chicks might just be complaining at the difference in size between chick crumb and growers pellets.

xx
fussy rat

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 14:33
by joyfull
xx
Am i too fussy

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 15:27
by Lost in France
xx
Fussy eating ???

Started by Tenhens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2016, 22:44
by Tenhens
xx
Fussy Eaters

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 22:15
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 34 queries.