Help needed

• 5 Replies

Fredjones

• Once a blue Always a blue in Runcorn, Cheshire
    • Fred`s web pages
Help needed
« on: October 30, 2009, 16:34 »
Hi All me again i have just collected my 5 ex batts which have been fed on layers mash, how thick do i make mash as i don`t want it to thick or to runny,  Thanks Fred
2 x Warrens, 5 x ex batts, 3 x Daughters, 5 x grandsons, 1 x granddaughter, 1 x wife, this is enough for 1 x man

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 16:40 »
Hi there! i didnt thin k you mixed mash with water?  ??? i thought it was just powdered pellets!! i probably wrong though!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

treacleminer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 16:41 »
Mash can be fed dry!
If you are going to feed it wet, mix only enough for them to eat fairly quickly, ie. within a couple of hours so it doesn't go off.
I mix layers pellets with hot water sometimes as a treat on a cold morning - basically to a thick porridge consistency.

Enjoy your new birds
Janet

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 16:49 »
Hey Fred.  I have four ex-batts and I have only given them dry food (first the ex-batts crumbs - which I think is similar to the mash - and now pellets) from the off.  They also always have access to water, obviously.

I thought mixing it with warm water (a la treacleminer!) was a treat for cold days...

If you have a look at my post "Fat Mavis", you can see how well at least one of mine is doing on the dry food!  :D

Fredjones

• Once a blue Always a blue in Runcorn, Cheshire
    • Fred`s web pages
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 17:20 »
Hi Amandah thanks for the info and every one else, i had alook at mavis and she looks ok to me i`m no expert but if my ex batts end up looking like her i will be chuffed----Fred

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 17:28 »
And Mavis was the sick one!  They'll worry you sick for the first few weeks, sulking in corners and under bushes and generally being right scaredy cats.  But they very quickly remember how to be proper chickens and will be trashing the place, chasing you about for treats and tormenting small children.

I've kept mine on a simple diet - ex-batts food and water always available, mixed corn and/or meal worms late afternoon and, recently, a bit of cooked veg or tin of sweetcorn (rinsed first to wash off any added salt or sugar) as a change from their corn treat.  They wouldn't touch veg for ages after I got them.

You'll be amazed how they seem to "come back to life" - seeing them sleeping upside down in the flower bed in the sunshine will bring tears to your eyes (and not just because they've squashed your plants)  :D     

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
Help needed

Started by arrowni on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 18:00
by arrowni
xx
Help needed

Started by philb98 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 01:04
by philb98
xx
Help Needed

Started by Jessie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 22:38
by pink-chicken

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 32 queries.