How big an L for mesh run?

• 13 Replies

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
How big an L for mesh run?
« on: October 24, 2009, 18:05 »
We're building a run for my first ever chooks (so excited ::)) and want to use the 'L' system for the mesh to make it fox proof.
How big does the right angled L bit have to be? we're thinking 18 inches - is this overdoing it?

grumpydad

Re: How big an L for mesh run?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 18:10 »
mine is 12", with a slab strip along the base of the wire, the omlet coop and run only has a strip about 8" wide, which seems to do the trick.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 21:51 »
When you talk about the L for the mesh run do you mean just laying the lower part on the ground and pinning it to the ground or do you bury the wire and bring it ouy in an L?  I am interested as I am about to build a run aswell.  Several people I have spoken to are people who rear game and they have said just lay the wire on the ground in the L and then pin it down.   We are also going to put an electric wire around the base about 8" above and 8" out from the wire but obviously want to make it as fox proof as possible. Am interested in hearing your views on this.

Carolbriar 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 22:51 »
When Brian built our pure breeds house, he dug down nearly a foot, laid the weldmesh down and then the L coming out about 6".  We occasionally see diggings around that house, but ratty sees or feels the wire and b****rs off!!!!    :D :D :D

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 17:34 »
When you talk about the L for the mesh run do you mean just laying the lower part on the ground and pinning it to the ground or do you bury the wire and bring it ouy in an L?  I am interested as I am about to build a run aswell.  Several people I have spoken to are people who rear game and they have said just lay the wire on the ground in the L and then pin it down.   We are also going to put an electric wire around the base about 8" above and 8" out from the wire but obviously want to make it as fox proof as possible. Am interested in hearing your views on this.

Carolbriar 

I intend to just lay the mesh on the ground, peg it down then let the grass hide it. I know this can work to keep rabbits out (about a 12" L) when you can't (or can't be bothered to  :blush:!) dig it in. but I wondered if foxes are cleverer and need a wider one.
I think I'll stick with 12" and see how I go.  :blink:
The electric wire sounds good - is that 8" above the ground and 8" away from the mesh?

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 18:32 »
Yes, the electric wire will be 8" above the ground and 8" out from the wire.  I am looking at allowing probably 18" of wire on the L partly because I will have 8 foot high wire (4ft and 4ft)and so will have plenty to bend at the bottom and also some to hang over the top so nothing can climb the wire and get over it as at the top it will hang over the outer edge. These will be my first chickens aswell and can't wait.  I need to get my run up and running in the next week or two and then I can go and choose the hens.  Trouble is, there aren't always that many around at this time of year which means if I want specific hybrids, which I do, I might not be able to get them!  We will be starting off with 4 and then next year get another 2.
Hope it all goes well with you and your hens.  :D
Carolbriar

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 18:56 »
So,..are you putting a top on it?

carolbriar

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 19:44 »
Mmmmm, not sure.  The run will have a circumference of approx 35 metres which would be a large area to cover.  If we do, it will be normal chicken wire.  I bought 19g weld mesh for the run.  I suppose it also depends which hens I get because some can be quite flighty and could fly out. 
What hens are you getting and how many?  I think we will start with 4.

Carolbriar

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 05:59 »
can i suggest fruit cage netting u found harrods gardeing catolque very cheap and i got lots of it for my run  , and thats 10 m by 6 m . mines been up over a year now and i havent had one prob with anyhting trying to get in via the roof .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:57 »
Fruit cage netting. Must be fixed so not even smallest gap because if anything can get in, then it won't get out. All hell breaks loose. We used it, but after a windy period there was a gap at the side of the fence. Crows could stand on the fence, dive through the gap to get at the food. Unfortunately they could not see that there was a net over the whole and tried to fly across and out. Once down the hens attacked them. Had to remove net to stop this happening. HTH.

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 16:52 »
i threaded  all the edges together with wire thread [ what a pain in the  xxxxxxxxx job that was } an stapled all the way round the outside admittly there is a few more jobs to do but that can wait its no rush .

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 11:36 »
Thanks to all for the suggestions  :) The run is 12' x 16' and on a slope. We bought weld mesh (19 guage (I think); 1mm; 1" x 1/2" mesh) and will have to mesh the roof as there are overhanging trees and I hear foxy can climb like a cat! :ohmy:
That's foxy as in the fox not Foxy the member on here  :wacko:...though maybe he can climb, too... :lol:
I'd like to post some photos of progress for comments and encouragment but not sure where/how to put them - need to just figure it out :wub:

What hens are you getting and how many?  I think we will start with 4.

We're getting 6 ex batts (against all advice but the decision's made, now). I'm sooooooooooooooooo  excited and can't wait to see horribly deprived little creatures learning to be chickens. :lol:

(Hope your feeling a little better today, karlooben?)

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 16:48 »
foxy on here is a girlie  :lol: :lol: :lol: but dont wory your not the only one to make that mistake i have been mistaken for a boy  :lol:.  yes i am feeling better  :D

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 18:03 »
OMG, Foxy I'm sorry!
My son was suggesting boy names for my new girls and there I was going on about gender crises!! :blush: :blush:

xx
Mesh Under Run

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 23:49
by pushrod
xx
Wire Mesh

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 14:07
by North Devon Dumpling
xx
Weld mesh

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 21:42
by binghamd
xx
Welded Mesh

Started by matthew2riches on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 21:00
by CDave

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 28 queries.