Perch size & Nest box size

• 18 Replies

geoffwales

« on: July 19, 2008, 15:29 »
WooHoo nearly finnished the coop, i could do with the suggested perch width and length  per chicken ie would 2" x 1" be ok for the perch

also what size should the nest box be im thinking 12" x 12" x 12" High

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 16:35 »
yes and yes.  :)  But round the top corners of the 2x1.

Don't forget to post a few photos when you have it finished. We can al pinch ideas for our next efforts then  :D

Rob  8)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 20:42 »
please post pics please ,i am in the process of building the run but may start shortly on the house an i am so stuck of what to do for the inside .

if i decide not to build my own house { i'e i can make it as big as i want } i do have a 6' 4  shed that will hopfully house 10 birds quite comfortably but as i am new to this i need as many ideas as poss .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 20:59 »
My coop is only suitable for 6 and is basically just a box with loose perches and a nest box tacked on.

Wouldn't really help you I don't think, since you'll need to think much bigger.

Maybe someone with a bigger coop can post some photos.

Is there any particular aspect you're struggling with ?

Rob  :)

WoodyK

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 13:57 »
Hello

I get my 3 ex batts on Saturday and i am currently building their new home.

How high should the perches be, especialy as they are going to be pretty unfit to start with?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm new to this.

Thanks

Woody

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 16:55 »
Hi Woody

You have to remember that these little souls have never had a perch so you might find they will struggle with a perch at first but give them time they may like it as they adjust to their new surroundings.
If you can make the perch so you can alter the height as they grow use to it that may be best but to start with I wouldn't have them too high no more than approx 8" - 10"

Good luck.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 18:22 »
hi poutlygeist , did u mean if i am struggling with any of this as if u did mean me then the answer is yes ,,lol :lol:  :lol:  but i have spoken to a farmer today and he used to use the old fashion orange crates an said they were brillant .. i just got to find somewhere that does them .

but my house will be ordered tomorw should be here in a few weeks and actully going to convert a bike storage shed for them its large an has double open doors which i want .

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 18:39 »
Yes, I was thinking that my setuo would be difficult to compare directly with yours due to the numbers.
I think converting a small shed is the ideal way to go and we did look at those bike shed ourselves.

Other people have posted photos before of orange crates and similar as nest boxes. With a bit of straw in, they'll be fine as long as they're somewhere in a dark corner and lower than the perches.

Rob  :)

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 20:24 »
i will build something that i think will look and be comfortable but in  the end it wil be the chicks who decide what will be . :lol:  seeing they are he ones staying in there .. am going to try an get pics on here very soon to show peeps what i have done so far  and  yes i am getting more and more excited each day .

my works have allowed me to buy loads of stuff from screwfix an then pay some of a month which is great ., that just leaves me the main fencing to get .

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 20:29 »
oooo  :shock:   can I come and work at your place ?  :)

I love screwfix. It's one of my fave toy catalogues  :D

Rob  8)

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 21:19 »
u could if u want to but if u see what we are doing at the mo u will probably die of shock  :lol:  :lol: .

ebay will be my next hit for the fencing screwfix dont do some of the bits i want and if it does then its more expensive.

i have someone who has taken on the plot behind me and she seems really nice , her sister keeps chickens and other birds so thats good to know .

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 23:01 »
Quote from: "karlooben"
u could if u want to but if u see what we are doing at the mo u will probably die of shock  :lol:  :lol: .

i have someone who has taken on the plot behind me and she seems really nice , her sister keeps chickens and other birds so thats good to know .

Sounds intrigueing !  :D

Nice to find someone you can get on with. She might be able to pass on a few tips from her sister. Anythign interesting, report back here  :wink:

Rob  8)

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 19:02 »
i shall report back  all that i get told  :lol:  u can never have enough advice .

and i have such bad news my works will not allow me to order the stuff though srcewfix via the works account as they need to then trry ad hide it when it all goes on the books or something , so my run and house may take a lot longer to build  :(  i could be looking at next spring now before i get my birds  :x  me mad

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 19:12 »
That's a shame.

What bits were you planning to order from screwfix ?

karlooben

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 19:34 »
i was going to order the metposts , the rest of the galvanised wire ,an the bike shed thing .  never mind it will get done somehow  :lol:  as they say watch this space .

xx
How do you tell how old a chicken is & what size perch is best?

Started by stujem on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 12:19
by Casey76
xx
perch size query

Started by carl on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 22, 2010, 22:48
by Bonniebean
xx
Nest box Size

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 17:39
by muntjac
xx
Nest box size- Help Please!

Started by Railside Rooster on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 21:51
by Railside Rooster

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 28 queries.