Chickens not eating layers pellets

• 9 Replies

Jackie_1960

Chickens not eating layers pellets
« on: November 13, 2013, 14:20 »
Hello everyone.

I became a first time chicken owner in August. I bought six point of lay pullets and they have been a delight. They free range my fields (and muck heap!) during the day and then go into their electrified 'paddock' at night. So far no problems and they have laid eggs constantly since they first arrived.

My only query is the fact they do not each their layers pellets. Wont touch them. They seem very healthy and their eggs are lovely. Is this normal though? I give them a little mixed corn in the afternoon but apart from that, nothing. I also add vitamins to their water.

Thanks for any advice.

Geo

• Experienced Member
Re: Chickens not eating layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 14:55 »
 I have just been given 2 Rhode Island pullets from a friend who keeps 35+ bantams and large fowl on his son in laws farm. He never buys layer pellets and sources all their food from the farm. Barley,wheat,weeds and grass.
He does give them grit as they are kept in large runs and not free ranging on fields.

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 20:43 »
I used to give mine layers mash, then changed to pellets, they never touched em for 3 days, then I guess hunger got the best of them, they just had veg to eat and a bit of grazing on the grass, then they got locked up at night

Now mine just get pellets, I rattle a tin and they come running, I just fill up the feed pots and they get stuck in, never any waste with pellets, they clear the lot, I put grit and oyster shell in their pellets

They get half a pumpkin, a cauliflower and a cabbage a day + their pellets  :)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:49 »
It sounds as though they are getting enough food from their free-ranging. However all my birds have eaten the pellets despite free-ranging and the concern is they may not be not getting a balanced diet. What were they eating with the breeder - if it was mash they may not fully understand the pellets are for eating! You may need to soak the pellets to make a mash to get them used to it.

I would still offer grit and oyster shell, they will use it but probably very slowly to supplement their free-ranging. For now I would cut out the corn as well, just whilst you try to introduce them to the pellets.

There will be those out there that say they will get enough from free-ranging, and they might, but you cannot tell if there are micro-nutrients, vitamins and minerals that the grazing is deficient in. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jackie_1960

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 12:37 »
Thank you for your replies.

They were eating pellets with the breeder and I continued with these. For the first couple of weeks they were eating up but then they started to leave them. I tried a different brand with no success. I have recently started to add warm water and make a mash but they still won't eat it.

I do always feed poultry grit by the way and they do eat this! Their eggs are delicious with extremely hard shells but I do worry they are not getting a balanced diet.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 15:13 »
I would scatter a handfull of the pellets on a suitable bit of ground. It is amazing what they eat when they think they have found it :lol:

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 15:18 »
I would scatter a handfull of the pellets on a suitable bit of ground. It is amazing what they eat when they think they have found it :lol:

The stuff you scatter around has got to taste better than the stuff in a feeder  :)

To a hens mind anyway, they seem to think with their stomachs most of the time  :)

Jackie_1960

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 16:08 »

I must say I spend far too many hours watching them scratching away at the ground. I planted some fruit trees a while back and they were actually sitting on the fork as I worked waiting to pounce on the worms.

Some friends came to visit and one of the chickens found a small dead frog. She was clearly delighted with her find but the other five wanted some of it too and the ensuing squabble had my friends in stitches.

rufty

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 16:45 »
Ours don't seem to touch the pellets when they're having a free range day, but we get much better quality eggs when we don't let them free range so I guess it's true what they say about pellets being a good diet for them.
My guess is pellets just don't taste very nice but they'll eat them when they're hungry.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 17:08 »
I have just been given 2 Rhode Island pullets from a friend who keeps 35+ bantams and large fowl on his son in laws farm. He never buys layer pellets and sources all their food from the farm. Barley,wheat,weeds and grass.
He does give them grit as they are kept in large runs and not free ranging on fields.
I forgot to mention the left over sandwiches etc. from the church cafeteria.I know I know. don't tell anyone.

xx
my chickens have stopped eating their layers pellets

Started by seeker on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 09:33
by Tazzy
xx
Chickens not eating their pellets

Started by Mikey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 13:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
layers pellets

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 09:22
by muntjac
xx
layers pellets, which ones

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 09:08
by danmegal

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 31 queries.