my chickens have stopped eating their layers pellets

• 15 Replies

seeker

Hi,

Last week i got three pol chickens and on the first day they ate their pellets this continued for the next three days with one laying evreyday i then brought some worms and corn as a treat and they loved it now they have stopped eating the pellets expecting me to give them more corn and worms they just scratch around the garden eating grass the one that laid evreyday stopped today and the other two laid their first eggs today which were soft shelled what should i do to make them eat the pellets again

Vember

Re: my chickens have stopped eating their layers pellets
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 15:58 »
Hi Seeker

I'd withhold any treats for a couple of weeks, they'll sulk for a day but soon start eating the pellets again :D

Do they have grit & oyster shell down?

Sarah :)

seeker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 16:31 »

Ive stopped giving them the treats for two days now and still they arnt eating the pellets should i keep them locked up in the coop and run i think they are filling up on grass

and yes there is grit available

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 17:11 »
Young short grass is excellent feed for chooks.  Just about as good as pellets so don't worry too much about that.

seeker

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 17:15 »
Young short grass is excellent feed for chooks.  Just about as good as pellets so don't worry too much about that.

so should i just leave them and not bother with the pellets, ive got a 25kg bag of it :(, should i carry on feeding them the worms or corn

as soon as i go into the garden they come running to me expecting food, does this mean they are hungry or just want the treats

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 17:19 »
Just make sure they have their pellets available 24/7 so they can eat them when they want.  When you do give them their little treats again, do it in the afternoon, especially the corn as it takes longer for their crops to digest it.  Also don't go over board on treats.

An overfed chicken is not a happy chicken and only happy chickens lay nice eggs for us!

Give them lots of green stuff though if the grass ever disappears, plenty of cabbage leaves and the other outer leaves you would normally throw away.  Hang a cabbage up in their run too sometimes so they have to jump for it.  The exercise is good for them too!

Most of all, don't get stressed!!  Chickens are a good de-stresser!!!!   :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 17:22 »
They probably don't need worms or corn this time of year.  A pinch of each just as a treat in the late afternoon if you want but no earlier.  Pellets should be available all the time and they'll eat them if they are hungry.

seeker

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 17:45 »
Thanks for all your help, I'll see how it goes

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 17:49 »
Hello Seeker,
Pullets don't normally lay every day; rather  5 eggs per work is more your average.
Has the grit got oyster shell mixed in?  They need the shell for calcium.
When they come rushing up to you, don't offer a treat every time, but a gentle little "chat" with them.  No, I'm not bonkers, they do talk back.
cathangirl

Sparr0wman

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 18:28 »
Mine did the same :lol: i treated them as i would my kids, give em a crack. i'm kidding.  ;) i just stopped the treats completely, it came natural to do it. they soon started eating the pellets again. the egg laying wasn't really afected though.

seeker

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 19:45 »
Mine did the same :lol: i treated them as i would my kids, give em a crack. i'm kidding.  ;) i just stopped the treats completely, it came natural to do it. they soon started eating the pellets again. the egg laying wasn't really afected though.

so did they start eating the pellets straight away or did they eat grass only for a few days

Sparr0wman

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 20:45 »

so did they start eating the pellets straight away or did they eat grass only for a few days

They are in a run. No grass left  ::) they still had greens thrown in for them. but no corn.
their pellets just seemed to stay in there feeder . i stopped the treats and all of a sudden the pellets were being eaten again. i hope this makes sense. a long day you see.

seeker

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 12:18 »

They are in a run. No grass left  ::) they still had greens thrown in for them. but no corn.
their pellets just seemed to stay in there feeder . i stopped the treats and all of a sudden the pellets were being eaten again. i hope this makes sense. a long day you see.

How long did it take for them to start eating the pellets?
its been nearly 3 days now and their just not haveing any

if they can live of grass i dont mind really ive got a big garden only three hens so should be enough grass, hopefully :mellow:

Sparr0wman

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 17:50 »
What i have read on here are all hens will be different. i can only tell you my story in hope it will stop you panicking.
I can't see the hens starving themselves to death in protest, mine started eating again after about three days.
          I am still a novice when it comes to chickens and i'm still asking lots of questions myself. Somebody else should be able to tell you if they can live off grass alone. i'm sure they can, but i don't know what the implications would be.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 18:24 »
My hens aren't real keen for layer pellets right now either.  They free range after we come home from work and on the weekends.  We give them treats of spinach leaves and mealy worms.  Although I know that we should only feed them layer pellets in their feeder, we mix sunflower hearts, wheat, groaties, and some millet in too.  Everything is coated with poultry spice.  Now THAT gets eaten.  Their eggs are creamy and lovely and their shells are like bullets.  Once a week I give them cat food (fish) .  Our hens are truly spoiled.  I always steam my veg, and leftovers are frozen.  I take the little packets out of the freezer when I get up in the morning and by the time we let the hens out in the late afternoon, they are defrosted and ready for a special treat for out hens, about twice a week.  Very spoiled girls.  Thank goodness they haven't stopped laying!   ::)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
Chickens not eating layers pellets

Started by Jackie_1960 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 17:08
by Geo
xx
Chickens not eating their pellets

Started by Mikey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 13:07
by GrannieAnnie
question
Layers pellets

Started by Holyfishcakes on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 15:39
by Holyfishcakes
xx
Layers pellets HELP!!!

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

53 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 21:53
by WR1

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.