Strange head movements

• 7 Replies

Sooz

Strange head movements
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:54 »
My Gladys has been making strange head movements for a few days now.  I have checked this site and it implies impacted crop.  However, she is not lethargic and is still very spritely.  She seems to be eating and pooing okay.
This one has got me thinking!!
I'm not young enough to know everything!

Missie

Re: Strange head movements
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:13 »
When you say,strange head movements,do you men she also opens her mouth  as if to yawn whilst lifting her head-like stretching?

If so,it sounds like Gapeworm

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:33 »
My girl got sour crop which she didn't recover from despite prompt vet treatment. She started off with the strange head movements so don't delay getting treatment for your bird.  My girl was elderly when she got it and maybe if she'd been a younger bird she might have faired better. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:40 »
Feel her crop is it soft and squidgy, hard and solid or can you just feel her feed? Open her beak and sniff her breath. Please do these before you try treating her for either inpacted or sour crop  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Missie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:00 »
My girl got sour crop which she didn't recover from despite prompt vet treatment. She started off with the strange head movements so don't delay getting treatment for your bird.  My girl was elderly when she got it and maybe if she'd been a younger bird she might have faired better. 

I had one of my girls two weeks ago,she seemed fine in the morning,in the afternoon,she was also droopy and unhappy,she had a sour crop,I made her sick and done the usual,she came into the house,sat on my lap for maybe half an hour,and her head just went back and she died! Ok,she was 4 years of age but I was so shocked as I just don't have birds "Just die" like this...it is me whom normally saves them!!

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:07 »
I thought my girl was going to rally and survive. She did pick up a few times but it was all to no avail.   I think if she's been a young one she would have survived. Also if you catch it very early on then it's all to the good

Sooz

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:40 »
I have had one with sour crop before who became very lethargic.  I did the deed and she survived...still with us now.
As Gladys did not display the same symptons, I assumed it was not sour crop.  But when I looked at her after posting this morning, her crop was HUGE!  I had to chase her round the garden to pick her up, but when I did, immediately she started pucking gunk.  Obviously she was very full.  It was mostly liquid that came out, with a bit of what looked like grain (?) where from, I don't know.
When I finally put her down, her crop was still quite large.  I will probably have to do it again later.
She is an old rescue bird, who used to give me enormous eggs and has been saved from death on another occasion.  But no eggs for a while now.  If she does not recover from this, I feel she has had an extended life anyway.   :(

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:51 »
You do your best for them but you can't always save them unfortunately.  As long as they're well cared for and you have given them the best of lives you can't do any more  :(

xx
Jerky head/neck movements

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 21:58
by barley
xx
How big is a fox's head?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 18:07
by Sassy
xx
head shaking

Started by animartco on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 23:07
by henamoured
xx
shaking head

Started by bee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 17:54
by bee

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 29 queries.