Leaving Ground Fallow

• 23 Replies

fatbelly

Leaving Ground Fallow
« on: August 06, 2013, 08:28 »
Hi All,
I am lucky to have a very large plot which does take some working.  But because of changes in my work patterns next season and the 2015 season, my Lottie time will be very limited. The good news is that in late 2015 I retire so I will then be able to go to the plot on most days.

To get me through these next 2 seasons it is my intention to drastically cut back the amount I grow & stick to Onions, Spuds & nothing else. This will leave me with a lot of unused ground! How should I handle this unused ground? I was thinking of putting a thick layer of manure on to keep the weeds down & get my soil enriched for my full time return. Or am I better leaving the soil bare & just hoe the weeds off once a week.

Any ideas great fully received.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:30 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

compostqueen

Re: Leaving Ground Fallow
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:36 »
I would cover it with manure as you say. Or heavy duty black sheet mulch

If you are likely to run into trouble with the council because of unused area of plot, you could put the sheet mulch down and then hide it with manure over the top  8)  The manure will break down and the resultant water from it will feed your soil.  Light will be excluded so your weeds will disappear, leaving the soil clear. It takes a while for this to happen so you have to be patient. The soil underneath the sheet mulch will be left in good condition as it allows rain to pass through it. So, when you do come to unfurl the mulch the top surface of the soil will be clear of weeds and the soil should be soft and friable.

I have cleared areas like this but I have coned the area off to prevent folks from walking on it.  I put hazard tape across it, held up with canes.  It's no good if it gets flattened under sized 9's

fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:55 »

If you are likely to run into trouble with the council because of unused area of plot.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have thought about the Council, in year one I would be able to get away with leaving areas uncultivated and I would not get any grief, I have been on the site a number of years & always kept a good weed free cultivated plot. In year 2 I would probably plant about 6 Crown Prince squashes and let them roam.

I am really not looking forward to the next 2 years, my employer has decided to get 'tough' with all employees and get the absolute maximum out of us all regardless of our home lives or anything. They have changed all our hours of attendance to what is wholly best for the company. One of our shifts is just 3 hours long 12 - 3 on a Sunday afternoon so ruining any chance of doing something over the weekend.  I feel for the younger ones who have kids & no other option, at least I get out in 2 years.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:56 by fatbelly »

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 08:59 »
The HD sheet mulch will stop any weeds from getting  foot hold so give you breathing space. If you leave the soil bare then you will be weeding, which you don't want to be lumbered with if you don't have much time to spare

Squashes will grow wonderfully well on a patch of rough ground that's well manured. Weeds have still come through mine though, mostly sow thistles. Fortunately they were easy enough to hoik out once we'd had a spell of heavy rain

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:11 »
Could you grow a green manure, like mustard?  Sorry I've only started using it this season on areas I've harvested so I'm not sure how well it keeps weeds at bay or how long it lasts.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:14 »
Sow a long-term perennial green manure such as alfalfa, or an alfalfa/clover mix?

We're told by the Council to keep our plots fertile so Voila!

Tom

ps:  Daamoot, our posts crossed in cyberspace, something I always find spooky and moving at one and the same time...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:17 by goodtogrow »
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:25 »
Why not speak to the council and let them know what's happening rather than try to pull the wool over their eyes.

If you give them your plan for the next two years coupled with your previous record they are much more likely to leave you alone.  It's not "Us and Them", you should all be working together.

fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 10:26 »
Why not speak to the council and let them know what's happening rather than try to pull the wool over their eyes.

If you give them your plan for the next two years coupled with your previous record they are much more likely to leave you alone.

Yes your right Sally I will do this.
Thanks to All.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 16:32 »
Alternatively you could talk to the Council about allowing someone else cultivate the spare land for 2 years until you retire. Maybe someone with a small plot or someone on the waiting list. The risk is that you could get some scrag-bag who leaves it in a mess.

Seems a pity to have it not producing good food.

seaside

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 18:29 »
Sorry to hear about the problems with your employer. I don't understand why one would have no time to pop up to one's allotment though, as most are within easy distance... especially for us older ones with no family things to concern us.
Onions are certainly an excellent long term, low maintenance crop. Any crops you do plant, make sure you space widely to allow really easy hoeing in a wink of an eye, so as to keep the plot under control.
I hate to say this, but maybe you could also consider rotovating after each crop... that is always impressive to the untrained eye.
As for telling your landlord ... why ? .. what business is it of theirs unless you are intending to not be there at all, in which case one might think they would be right to enquire ... at which point you can tell them why.
Yes to horse manure, but an even bigger yes to Red clover as that is a brilliant 18 month green manure soil conditioner that no one but ICI could object to. Might have to protect it from birds etc with twigs though.
As a word of support for some Council landlords, they must have heard every excuse going for derelict plots, and most of us neighbours have had enough as well. If I were paid by them to ensure the best use of allotment space with long waiting lists, I would not be impressed with many nonsenses that are given. Soft soap would make no difference. .. it's all about maximum use of good growing land and giving all residents a fair shake. How about giving up the plot and putting yourself back on the waiting list ? Two years should see you with another plot being offered.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 18:38 by seaside »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 18:37 »
Sorry to hear about the problems with your employer. I don't understand why one would have no time to pop up to one's allotment though, as most are within easy distance... especially for us older ones with no family things to concern us.

You have obviously never had a job with long hours then - lucky you! I can easily see how difficult it can become. I leave home at 6.20am and am never home before 6.30pm - a more usual time is 7-7.30pm. By the time you get in and eat it is nearly 9.00 so dark in winter and I am in bed at 10 a I get up so early...

I am lucky in that I still have weekends and school holidays to focus my attention but I can easily see how work patterns can make things difficult

ghost61

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 18:55 »
So with school hols and weekends that adds upto about 5 months a year to look after your plot. Those who only have 4 weeks hols a year plus weekend, if they are lucky, have about 3 months.

Fatbelly, on our site as long as you are keeping the plot relatively tidy no council official will say anything. Let your rep know, if you have one, what is going on. On our site some of us help weed others when this sort of thing happens. The great thing is that you have a retirement date in sight and then you can be on your plot whenever you like. Good luck.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 20:33 »
Oh yes, I know I am lucky that I can visit at least once over the wkend fitted around the usual things in life and have the hols - I am not complaining at all (I wish it was 5 months tho haha!). What I meant is that I can easily see how people with similar working hours as mine but without school hols struggle at times....

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 20:55 »
 Shouldn't think you'd get into too much trouble as along as the uncultivated bit isn't running wild with weeds because thats what tends to upset people - weed seed travelling from ignored plots.
As long as it was clear it should be fine.

Or can you lend a bit of land to a friend on the site for the time?
My mate John has a bad heart and doesn't always manage his whole plot (he does have the chooks on his plot so the space has ben reduced by this). I have 'borrowed' his walk in brassica house this year and have told him and wife to help themselves to anything I've planted in there as thanks. And if they don't help themselves, they'll  find a little veg parcel on their doorstep!! :D

That would be another way to reduce your amount of effort next year.
I can sympathise - I work long days at a hospital and it's just typical that my days off end up too wet to garden! ::)
It can be very frustrating! :)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 21:53 »
I'm 25, am a houseowner, have a large garden, a full size allotment, work full time from 8-5 (officially, normally 8-7) and odd weekends. I got far behind with my plot this year, but planted LOTS of squash plants on one half just to keep it going and hope to be in a better place next year. I very rarely get down the plot to actually do any work more than once or twice a week for an hour or two.

It can be done, but it does keep you busy. Your plan sounds sensible, I would have a chat with the council and explain.

I certainly wouldnt give up a plot that you have put so much time into and that you will clearly look after even with minimal input. I should just plant the whole thing with winter squash, onions, garlic :D

xx
Leaving an allotment fallow for a year?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 09:22
by Nobbie
xx
How to know when potatoes are ready/leaving them in the ground

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 15:28
by GreenOwl
xx
leaving spuds in ground need advise

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 17:29
by drmoonshine
xx
How to cover an area we want to keep fallow this year??!

Started by bigjemmett on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 20:36
by bigjemmett

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 35 queries.