TOMATOES LEAVES GOING silvery and transparent SEEM TO BE LOSING THERE CHLOROPHYL

• 6 Replies

echo1

Put the plants out about 3 or more weeks ago but the above happened so dug them up repotted them and put them back into the green house problem sorted i.e. leaves stopped going grey (could say transparent). Thought the cause was the weather i.e. to cold/windy.  Put them out again last Wednesday same thing again. A few different Tomato plants out but seems to be hitting the big Romas. Anything still in the Conservatory is ok and anything in hanging baskets etc i.e. out of the garden soils is ok. Note all the Romas are in the soil except for the ones in the conservatory. A friend suggest a lack of Nitrogen (I think that’s what she said) so she said I should use a tomato feed. The plants are 3’ high with lots of flowers and some have started to produce toms.  There are some pictures on photo bucket if someone can help?
  THANKS ECHO1 PS have just feed them with some tomato feed??

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 13:19 by Aunt Sally »

poohpouri

Hi did you aclimatise tomatoes before planting out? even though weather has been warm,I believe plants being planted out need to be aclimatised as temps are a lot coller then in a greenhouse/conservatory and also plants need to get use to wind etc

echo1

Hi did you aclimatise tomatoes before planting out? even though weather has been warm,I believe plants being planted out need to be aclimatised as temps are a lot coller then in a greenhouse/conservatory and also plants need to get use to wind etc

Have a look at photos which are now on see what you think as I don't believe (and no one I asked does) that it would be caused by wind. Spent 2 days "breaking them in"

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
2 days is no time at all, they need much longer than that to harden off.

10 days to 2 weeks is what I give mine. I'm inclined to think wind/cold damage.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

poohpouri

looking at photo's i suspect wind/cold damage aswell am afraid,we all make mistakes!

viettaclark

If they're producing fresh green leaves they'll be fine....just look tatty at the bottom.
My bottom leaves are multi-coloured due to various weather effects.

echo1

Bit overdone the 2 weeks bit. I assume aclimatise means leave out during the day? Either way one or two do seem to be growing more nice green leaves at the top. So I am going with the I didn't acclimitise them for long enough ie wind cold damage.       Thank you everyone. I will check this topic again in case anyone has any other views.

xx
Leaves on Tomatoes going Transparent

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 14:43
by Sharonx
xx
Silvery bean leaves

Started by jamesoxford on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 16:10
by noshed
question
semi transparent containers

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 11:36
by Plottered
xx
'transparent Maggots/Larvae'

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 20:13
by ConfusedGardener

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 28 queries.