Drought watering options...

• 5 Replies

Growster...

Drought watering options...
« on: June 05, 2011, 22:57 »
So...,

... as I've been watering all the veg at least every two days for the last several weeks just to keep them alive, does it mean that if the new rain we're just getting, permeates downwards, it will 'connect' with the water table level I've been keeping going?

I reckon so, and therefore, if I've been occasionally feeding them a weak liquid manure (6X mix), then theoretically, this should all wash slowly, and further down the roots, and become part of the lower-topsoil feed area...shouldn't it?

And if this liquid manure feed has been washing around the necks of the veg like carrots and parsnips, then they've had a feed of sorts, and will have wider tops perhaps, but now, with prolonged rain, that will help their bodies fill out lower down?

All technical, and worthy of discussion after I've pulled a few chaps out, but the carrot thinnings are pretty long, and seem very happy so far - as do the parsnips...

Plenty of time for things to go pear shaped of course...;0)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Drought watering options...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:30 »
I never feed carrots or parsnips.

If they can find nutrients near the surface, they're not inclined to make downwards growth looking for them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Zippy

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 22:56 »
Mulch

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 02:06 »
Our summers are usually dry here so I mulch heavily. I try to do it after a rainfall, or a heavy watering if it's truly dry.

Like DD, I rarely water carrots, parsnips or potatoes.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:01 »
The carrot thinnings are max 5" so far, the parsnips are staying where they are as they were thinned s few weeks ago.

I didn't have enough time to get any compost going last year, so am mulching with spent nettles where I can, but this dry weather has really turned the plot into a dustbowl in  parts!

Here's a pic of a parsnip which definitely didn't think forming a tap root was a very good idea...

(We bought them as seedlings several years ago when we wanted to fill a gap at home...
Parsnips_056.JPG

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 17:23 »
Yep, a definite reason why moving parsnip seedlings is not a good idea. You can start them individually in loo rolls but they'll quickly outgrow those. But to actually shift it about as you would a tomato seedling - well, you have the interesting results  :D

xx
watering in drought

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 21:14
by stentman
xx
Potato Choices 2013: Opinions and Options :)

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post April 19, 2013, 20:07
by AnneB
xx
Sooo... didn't plant my garlic, any options?

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 09:30
by JayG
xx
Anyone else having a drought ?

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 10:40
by amberleaf

Page created in 0.692 seconds with 28 queries.