Dissapointed with this years garlic (music )

• 11 Replies

Lardman

Dissapointed with this years garlic (music )
« on: June 01, 2014, 14:15 »
I've praised it before but this year it's been terrible  >:( I bought 5 bulbs - managed to get 20 plants, which were started in 3" pots. Of those 20 plants, 10 simply rotted away without growing and another 2 have struggled to get about 6 inches, leaving just 8 bulbs and I've not checked what the bulbs are actually like.

I also bought some purple stuff ?castano? at the same time, treated them the same way and put them in the same bed - I've lost 3 of those from 32 plants.

Anyone else purchase fresh bulbs for this season and having a problem with them?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Dissapointed with this years garlic (music )
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 15:41 »
My new Early Purple Wight has never looked happy, I just put that down to being sooooo wet all winter *sigh*

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 19:00 »
All of mine is suffering  terribly from rust. Never had a problem with garlic before and usually grow far more than I ever need and it is massive but this year I may have to give up my garlic crown. :(
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 19:34 »
My Music was lousy last year, this year is its last chance.  I didn't get many from 5 bulbs (about 12) but those 12 look marvellous.   I am trying Sultop and Sprint this year for the first time, and whilst not as big as the Music, they are looking good.  Many more but smaller bulbs from 3 of each.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 20:19 »
Mine spent the winter in the GH and were planted in to a nice warm fluffy bed in spring so I don't think it's the wet - but I am wondering if last season was poor for the supplier (certainly the bulbs supplied weren't anywhere as good as previous one) and it's having a significant impact on this years crop.   :unsure:

There's not enough for me to save any this year either so I may be defecting to another source next year , shame - but with the cost of the bulbs and the enviromesh, these 8 bulbs must be the worlds most expensive  ::)

I was really looking forward to some proper garlic  :(

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 20:30 »
Mine don't look great either Lardy.  :(  Just had a gentle furtle and there's not a lot going on down there...fingers crossed they'll do something if I give them a quick feed this week.  :unsure:  Fortunately I still have a good amount in the freezer from last year...

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 21:08 »
Mine are looking great... but do have a fair amount of rust. Got about 6 varieties and furtled one today and its growing really well and bulbing up. I had them in the gh till 2 Feb and they were very thin and puny.. but they soon caught up. Some are now sending out scapes.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Steveharford

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 21:17 »
Never grown music but mine are all looking good except for spring planted Marco which just havent taken off. Probably not been cold enough. But not too worried as my reliance is on the autumn planted which,  touch wood, are looking promising.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 21:18 »
I bought a new lot in from T&M that didn't arrive til 30th Nov :mad:. About 10 varieties. I planted them in modules in the garden in Jan & planted them out in March? They've all got some rust on them but are quite tall. What's do you all do for rust, I ripped off the worst leaves, have I done the right thing. 2 just keeled over as I was weeding yesterday & didn't seem to have developed very many roots :(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 21:52 »
Interesting point point about the Marco Garlic -  I have planted a few varieties - but the Marco have struggled and got worse - I put it down to the wet weather - but now I wonder if if it was poor cloves?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 21:54 »
My garlic all has rust quite badly. I've taken off leaves before now, but it's getting to the point where it's not judicious pruning out of leaves, but a crew cut.

The carcassone looks to be the worst of the bunch and was sown last October-ish. Definitely going with spring planting next time.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 22:16 »
I was having a proper look at my garlic at the allotment today, and I suspect it is going to be a very poor harvest this year.  It's not just Music but all the varieties are much the same.  I can't say it's been abnormally wet here in Nottinghamshire this winter, but it has been very mild - and I think that is the main reason why none are looking so good.  A harsh winter kills off spores and bugs in the soil, and I believe a lot of autumn planted garlic need at least a month of very cold weather for clove division.

As for rust, try a top dressing of potash  ;)

xx
Music garlic

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 20:32
by Chrysalis
xx
Garlic - Music

Started by 240173paul on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2013, 22:08
by DD.
xx
Music garlic - where to buy?!

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 13:42
by AnneB
xx
Music garlic (from reallygarlicky) now available

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 11, 2014, 11:10
by Lesleyk

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 34 queries.