Brassica and nets safe release

• 13 Replies

gorymorph

Brassica and nets safe release
« on: June 23, 2009, 20:11 »
Hi
   Can some one tell me, when if ever, i can take the nets of my  cabbage, cauli etc. They were eaten by pegeons. Lots of them in allotments the racing type and wild.  The leaves were eaten but the hearts seem ok on most if not all so were hoping they will be ok. The plants were up to 6" tall when planted or maybe a little bigger. I have noticed some cabbage etc with no nets on.

Tom Netall

Re: Brassica and nets safe release
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 20:24 »
I had trouble with pigeons  >:( 

But I'm leaving mine on for those pesky flutterbies  8)  even though they are a pain when weeding.

Tom

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 20:31 »
Can't take mine off EVER!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 20:36 »
Hi
   Can some one tell me, when if ever, i can take the nets of my  cabbage, cauli etc. They were eaten by pegeons. Lots of them in allotments the racing type and wild.  The leaves were eaten but the hearts seem ok on most if not all so were hoping they will be ok. The plants were up to 6" tall when planted or maybe a little bigger. I have noticed some cabbage etc with no nets on.

Why not shoot the wild ones and have pigeon pie, it might deter the tame ones into the bargain.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 20:52 »
At the risk of playing the same record again Larkshall  ::) 

You cannot generally shoot on allotments.  It is illegal to shoot anywhere without the permission of the land owner.  Most allotments are owned by the local councils who will not give their permission because if they do and someone gets hurt (or worse) they will be liable in court  :ohmy:

Keep the nets on your brassicas gorymorph.  It will keep the pigeons and butterflies off :)

gillie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 20:55 »
What are you going to do with all this netting when in snows?

I  have not netted my few brassicas, or peas so far as the local pigeons have not shown any interest in them.  Curious.  Maybe it is because we live in an area with a high population of red kites.  The kites flying over are not interested in pigeons... but perhaps the pigeons have not been told this.

Cheers,

Gillie

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 21:03 »
It does feel like it is played over and over again Aunty

Will all our members please remember that and try to post the helpful answer to the original question. Gorymorphs post clearly states it is an alloment site.

It really would be appreciated instead of keep having to remind people. Thanks
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 21:06 »
Yes, snow is a problem on netting, not just on brassicas but on fruit cages too and should be removed if snow is likely but hopefull not in the next few months  :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 21:07 »

I  have not netted my few brassicas, or peas so far as the local pigeons have not shown any interest in them.  Curious.  Maybe it is because we live in an area with a high population of red kites.  The kites flying over are not interested in pigeons... but perhaps the pigeons have not been told this.

Cheers,

Gillie

We're both lucky! I dont have problems with pigeons either (wish I had red kite though)
I keep my netting on because of butterflies.  But Im bearing in mind that pigeons will get hungry in the colder months, and will keep my netting on.  Its well constructed, so will withstand a snowfall

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 21:10 »
You can get pigeon netting too (has bigger holes).  This won't be brought down by snow.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 21:27 »

Cheers,

Gillie

Pigeons round here take no notice of Red Kites  :tongue2: Shame
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 22:26 »
I've got to buy more netting cos the sparrows :ohmy: are pecking everything to death :(
I like sparrows but not when they eat my veg :mad: and no it's not pecking at greenfly, they peck little bits out of the leaves, i've watched them :(

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 22:37 »
Oh dear! Ive got a friendly sparrow who likes to perch on my spuds.I thought he was just waiting for grubs. Another reason for my netting...im so chuffed I got it.  Its paid for itself just in peace of mind

gillie

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:10 »
"Yes, snow is a problem on netting"

We had snow last November, before I had taken down the fruit cage netting.  I was impressed by how little snow it took to seriously weigh down the net and was out there frantically shaking it off while I untied and finally removed the net.

I have planned to put pigeon netting over the brassicas later, when the pigeons are hungrier, but I wonder what  these folks with huge amounts of debris netting are going to do.

Cheers,

Gillie

xx
Removing Brassica Nets

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 00:08
by peapod
xx
What's it safe / not safe to plant after garlic?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:07
by DD.
xx
When to release the P.S.B.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2015, 11:59
by Kleftiwallah
xx
when can i take nets off carrots

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 07:58
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 38 queries.