salt petre and apple trees

• 8 Replies

nemie

salt petre and apple trees
« on: June 19, 2009, 13:52 »
I am about to plant a few apple trees, I would like to know should i add about an ounce of salt petre to the mix?

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
Re: salt petre and apple trees
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 17:12 »
Know of no reason why you should. Might add a bit of growmore or similar (slow release fertiliser) to the soil that you put back in but other then that they should be fine.
Then a good watering when they go in.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 17:44 »
Must agree. Aside from food curing, Saltpeter is potassium nitrate, which is closely related to gunpowder manufacture. Ammonium nitrate is more commonly available as a garden additive, but unless your trees are in need of greening up, or you're growing fields of corn, there's no reason to use it. A general fertilizer is better, or still better is some composted manure mixed into the soil.

nemie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 22:48 »
Ok thxs i did not add any.

As for the tree's two of them have about 12/15 apples on them, these are the mm106 root, should i pull the fruit off so the tree can get a stronger root, i might be wrong but im sure i read it is the best thing to do, or was that after year one, these tree's are two year old and just planted today.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 23:16 »
You remove fruit the first year after planting, but i always leave one on just for a taste :)

nemie

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 01:10 »
You remove fruit the first year after planting, but i always leave one on just for a taste :)

Thxs ill crop them tomorrow, all but one each tree :D

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 08:38 »
Be a little careful as the tree will drop some at this time of year. You don't want to end up with none on the tree. Also the replanting may cause some to drop.
You say it is 2 years old, but how big is it physically and how big are the branches.
Just wondering if it is deveolped enough to handle a 2-3 apples at this time.
M106 gets to around 10-12ft in height.

calibra

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 19:14 »
Saltpeter is widly used to spray some fruit trees to increase fruit held on the tree, the high levels of pottasiuma and nitrogen help the plants,

it is often used on citrus plants for this reason and to add nitrogen rapidly if theres a defficency , applied through the leaves or roots instead of using urea that can cause problems due to high levels of biurette in some urea causing fertiliser burn

I cant see a normal amount hurting a tree any more than any other fertiliser, i often water things with it in a mix with other components or individualy

nemie

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 03:34 »
Hi  AnnieB the tree's are around four feet tall, i have already pulled all but one fruit off two of the tree's, my thinking make strong root get better crops later.

Two of the trees are MM106 root stock, and two are M26, only the MM106 tree's had apples on them.

Thanks calibra i thought it was used but felt maybe i had got it wrong, so did not use any as of yet, i think tomorrow ill try a weak solution.

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
apple trees

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 19:29
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Apple Trees

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 10:04
by Nobbie
clip
Apple Trees pt2

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 12:08
by hasbeans

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 29 queries.