Rescued hens.

• 14 Replies

becky

• Experienced Member
    • http://chickentopia.blogspot.com/
Rescued hens.
« on: January 08, 2007, 16:46 »
Hi all. I am getting some ex battery hens, from the Battery Hen Welfare Trust. I was just wondering if anyone else has got rescued hens? I have read about ex batterys, and what to expect, but I was hoping for a view from someone more like myself, hence asking here! I am due to get 3, and have a seperate run, from my other hens, and house for them, to begin with, got the layers mash etc... Any experiences you might have had that I could learn from??
Peas out!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Rescued hens.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 17:38 »
I know quite a few people who have rescue hens and from what I know of them you will need to give them some tlc to begin with.  

They might not have too many feathers and they are used to being in a very warm shed so it they will need a warm home and shelter from wind and rain.

They are probably used to a diet of layers pellets or layers mash and it will be best to stick to what they know at present and slowly move them on to whatever you want to feed them gradually.

You will be amaized how quickly they settle in to a better life and begin to do Chicken things.  Although they will have been checked over by a vet before you get them keep a good eye on them.  Because of their background they are often more suseptable to problems.

Good luck  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Rescued hens.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 17:54 »
Hi Becky, we have 47 hens from the BHWT and I know Tensing has some on here, but I can't remember how many she has

Aunt Sally is right, they need lots of TLC, and as it is cold now, yes a nice warm shed.  We got ours in September, and they were quite well feathered, so they just went straight into our old goat shed.  They didn't venture out for a few days, and when they did, they kept looking up at the sky as if to say what's that?  Doesn't look like the shed roof we are used to, and they'd keep picking up their feet and looking as they wern't used to grass (or mud as its now called!!! lol).

They had been fed layers mash, but our regional co-ordinator said to put them on layers pellets if we wanted same as he does, and they ate it straight away.  I do know though that some hens don't like the change and prefer mash for a while.

They also love a mash that I do with all my veggy peellings mixed with their layers mash or I buy the cheap porridge oats from the supermarket and mix it in, also bread soaked in water or soaked in the water from the cooking.  Mash it all up together and put in in dishes or I just throw it in the run still warm.  They go mad and you see hens flying everywhere with a tasty bit of peeling in its mouth trying to hide away from the others to eat it in peace.  

They will give  you a lot of laughs, but be prepared.  Sometimes the streeses of living in cages all their lives takes its toll.  We lost 3 of ours within the first 3 weeks, but the others love life in the open, even when it rains.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Rescued hens.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 19:06 »
Even the ones who don't live with you for very long have been given the oppertunity for a wonderful end to their life.  What could be more worth while :D

muntjac

Rescued hens.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 19:59 »
i agree with all the things the ladies say /for the battery hens .... treat them as being prisoners on release and give them all the things normal birds would have but in moderation as to much of a new thing can have adverse affects and may shock the sytem.
still alive /............

becky

• Experienced Member
Rescued hens.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 21:01 »
Thanks guys. The co-ordinator I have spoken to, has warned me the shock of the change may cause death, so I am prepared, to a certain extent. Do you think I should let them sleep in my garage for a while till they recover, and grow some feathers? Oh god, I am getting all 6's and 7's now! I will let you know how they all get on.

muntjac

Rescued hens.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 21:04 »
ok big space is colder ,small space is warmer from body heat ... hows that becky  :D

becky

• Experienced Member
Rescued hens.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 22:11 »
Ah, yes, very obvious! Bit of a blonde momment!!! :D

muntjac

Rescued hens.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 22:15 »
ahhhhhhh blondes , i love em your forgiven  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Rescued hens.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 22:32 »
One day at a time chook.   You'll do fine:D

Garden Gnome

Rescued hens.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 08:29 »
How exciting!

From what I've seen and heard with others with rescued hens, they need help to keep warm until their feathers come back, so plenty of bedding, and/or ragmops hanging like you can use with chicks, so they can keep warm under those.

becky

• Experienced Member
Rescued hens.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 21:18 »
Oh blimey, time has crept up on me, I get the chooks on Saturday!!!! Thinking of keeping them in my garden till they have hardened up, I think I am thinking about it too much!!!!

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
Rescued hens.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 19:35 »
We're going to adopt four...we've got two chooks already but we're going to build a separate run for our 'orphans'...

...here's the link to the trust if anyone else is interested.

http://bhwt.org.uk/

:)

PS Check out the photo of the 'hen on the mend' (it's under 'adoptive families') the chook in the jumper is gorgeous.
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

becky

• Experienced Member
Rescued hens.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 18:37 »
:D Got the chooks! Woo hoo!!!! They look pretty tough, more feathers than I was expecting. They are currently all tucked up in their new coop, next to the big chook run, so they new birds can see the old birds, and visa versa. Going to leave them there for a few weeks till they have settled right in, then they can move in with their new pals. It's all good.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Rescued hens.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 23:27 »
Sounds good becky.  Let us know how they go  :D

clip
rescued hens

Started by samuria on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 05, 2015, 09:00
by samuria
xx
RESCUED HENS

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 21:02
by kentishlad
xx
Anyone rescued battery hens?

Started by beki on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 19:11
by Wildeone
xx
rescued battery hens

Started by Deano27 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 09:56
by ck2day

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 29 queries.