Opinions on vaccines??

• 25 Replies

Sassy

Re: Opinions on vaccines??
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 09:34 »
If anyone is interested in vaccinating their flock, this is one of many articles they may find interesting!

http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/vaccination/index.aspx

and a list of some of the vaccines used by commercial breeders and rearers!

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Species_Pages/Poultry/Poultry_Vaccines.aspx

I can't find the vaccination plan that Joyfull did on here a few years back, but this one gives an idea of what should be done to cover as much as possible!

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/poultry/Syllabus/page16.htm

Perhaps this post should become a sticky as a good reference?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 11:04 »
I thought we had something similar once Sassy, but I couldn't find it.  I'll ask admin what's the best way of doing it.  :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 21:24 »
Okay, if anyone is interested, the links I put on here are also here!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=119752.0

RICH_Chicken

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 18:13 »
Some good advice going around... So if I don't vaccinate my chicks is it safe to eat the eggs? I don't want to be selling eggs that make ppl sick ??

Rich chicken
Rich_Chicken :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 23:06 »
Of course it is Rich.  We'd been selling our eggs for years on and off, never had a problem.  Been eating them too for years.  I'm not dead yet, at least I don't think so!  :D :D

I know 'they' keep warbling on about salmonella in eggs, and I realise that nothing is foolproof, but I think its the commercial flocks that get things more than our small ones.

Especially commercially produced chickens, you've only got to look at how they are processed to see why people get nasty things from them.

Lately they are on about not washing chicken before you cook it, because of the spreading of campylobactor.  I've been telling people about that for years.  I did a lot of research when we started rearing and breeding in our little way.  And OH and I used to go to the commercial poultry shows and got a lot of info from the DEFRA vet when he came round to inspect once.

Wet processing is worse, that's why we had always processed our meat chickens dry.  But that's getting a bit off topic!  sorry! 

You just eat your eggs, or give them away or sell them and enjoy them!  :) :) :) :)

Sassy

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 08:29 »
Totally agree with Grannie Annie  :D

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 19:43 »
We have just picked up two new hens and they're not vaccinated. We've always had vaccinated POL in the past and our two current older girls were, but these new ones are only 11 weeks old so not had their POL jabs. Not sure whether to bother or not. We only have the 4 girls (Tilly the 4 year old no longer lays anyway) and we don't sell our eggs. I keep a clean coop and run so not sure it's worth the expense of a vet bill.
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

pushrod

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 20:14 »
My 2 Pennies worth would be that if your hens have a healthy varied diet, access to shelter and protection during the day as well as night, are kept in a relatively clean environment and  most importantly are not overcrowded then you are unlikely to have health problems in your flock. So in normal circumstances i would not feel the need for vaccinations.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 09:14 »
We have just picked up two new hens and they're not vaccinated. We've always had vaccinated POL in the past and our two current older girls were, but these new ones are only 11 weeks old so not had their POL jabs. Not sure whether to bother or not. We only have the 4 girls (Tilly the 4 year old no longer lays anyway) and we don't sell our eggs. I keep a clean coop and run so not sure it's worth the expense of a vet bill.

Agrre with Pushrod. Also too late to vaccinate now anyway.  :)

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 09:25 »
Thanks Sassy. That's what I thought. I'm assuming they've had no vaccination at all. I will definitely worm them with the others this weekend though. The farm that we got them from said they'd been wormed using ACV in the water. We always do that anyway ( and monthly Verm X) but we still regularly worm our little flock with Flubenvet as I'm not sure that AVC is sufficient on its own.

Sassy

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 09:11 »
The only proven way to worm is with Flubenvet :)

xx
Vaccines or treatments?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 23:36
by chickenlady
xx
Beginner: chicks and vaccines

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 21:10
by Old Whiskers
xx
Not Sure what to say - opinions please!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 08:18
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Opinions please on run and coupe

Started by lewsley86 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 07:15
by joyfull

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 29 queries.