Not Sure what to say - opinions please!

• 30 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Not Sure what to say - opinions please!
« on: July 12, 2011, 19:52 »
Ironic talking about breeder requirements on here earlier.  

I've just had a call from a young lady who bought 3 of the Bovans whites from us 8 weeks ago.  They were 11 weeks old.

Her and her Mum know nothing about chickens, apart from what I've told her and what they've told her at Pets at Home.

She said she thinks one of the girls isn't well.  1.  It has a floppy comb.  That was easy to answer, it is a leghorn cross, so the combs do flop as they get older.  2.  It stands or crouches and closes its eyes as if its asleep.  not quite so easy, it could be crouching as its just started to lay eggs.  It may be ill, or it may be asleep!  or sometimes they will stand and fluff up a bit if its windy to help keep it warm.  3.  all three of them have darker combs than when she bought them.  I asked if they were a darker red or purple looking.  They look like they are going black on the tips.  Well could be a heart problem, but in all 3 of them?

Her Dad said it doesn't look like it will last the night.  Oh does your Dad know about chickens then?  No, but he said it looks like it will die overnight!

She's also worried about the eggs being small, sometimes no yolks etc, which I've told her they will take a bit of time to get into the hang of laying proper eggs most of the time.

But if it dies, do I replace it or give her her money back.  She's had them 2 months with no prior knowledge of keeping hens, she is quite young, mid teens, or do I say she's had them too long for it to be my fault?

No one else has mentioned a problem with their birds and we've sold 80 of the white ones now!  Input gratefully received!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Not Sure what to say - opinions please!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 20:02 »
2 months is way too long for you to be responsible for the birds. You have no idea what they are feeding the birds nor how good their husbandry is.
Leghorns have floppy combs
They do close their eyes and appear to be in a trance sometimes.
black tips to their combs well like you eay heart problem - maybe, frost bite - not in this weather vitamin deficiency - perhaps (what are they feeding them on?). 
Staffies are softer than you think.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 20:08 »
I agree that it cant be your responsibility after all this time has passed.  It is far more likely to be something they are/ are not doing.  Would it be helpful to go through all the basics with them again (if they are new to this there is so much to learn and they may have forgotten your initial advise) this will also show that you are concerned about the hens you supply.  You may pick up something from the conversation that helps.  Lets hope they just improve, I know when I first had hens (or dogs or rabbits or goldfish or children for that matter) I did over-react to 'symptoms' that I would now recognise as normal or insignificant
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 20:13 »
Hi Joy, they are getting layers pellets, and only getting corn as a treat like I told them.  She said she does hunt for dandelions for them in the garden and she sometimes boils up a bit of veg for them.

Thanks Daisy, yes I did go through things with her again.  I am concerned about the birds I sell.  I have either raised them from day old, as in this case or from the egg, so I hate it when things go wrong. Hopefully it is just her panicking!

thankfully things don't go wrong very often.  I think one of the worst was when one man over a period of 2 years lost all 6 of his girls to prolapses!  I know that wasn't my fault, but talk about bad luck!  On the bright side, he did buy some more hens from us!  :)

Oh and I gave her a list of things to try to perk her up a bit.  poultry spice, probiotic yoghurt, apple cider vinegar, tuna cat food.  oh forgot to mention the garlic!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 20:15 by GrannieAnnie »

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 20:23 »
are they overweight?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 20:27 »
Don't know Joy, but from what I gathered when we delivered them, they are more likely to be the other way!

When I asked if the 'sick' one was still eating and drinking okay, she replied "I don't know"!

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 20:30 »
so underfed?? in which case could that be the problem?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 20:33 »
If they live close to you could they bring them back for you to quarantine and diagnose.  On the understanding that if you find they have neglected them in any way you keep the hens.

They might be finding that hen keeping is not for them and they want a way out!
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 20:46 »
She would expect me to go to her though ANHBC!  She called me twice when she wanted to buy them.

The first time she said she wanted to buy some hens (3) and did we deliver as they were for a present for her Mum.  I said we didn't usually, but that we would be out her way the following week.  That was no good as she wanted them THAT DAY!  Then she called back a month later, not saying who she was.  She doesn't drive, and sending a taxi 8 miles would cost a lot of money.  I did mention the bus!  But we did deliver them the second time, just charging her £4 towards fuel, only to find a car in the drive!

That's a car I said.  Yes I know she answered, its my Mum's!    :unsure: :unsure:  I just hope she doesn't phone back!  And that her 3 hens live forever!!!   :D

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 20:53 »
it's not your fault Ann, tell her to go to a vets.

evie2

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 21:24 »
I agree with Joy.

Also, I think after 2 months they're no longer your responsibility but I know if there's a chance they're not being looked after properly you'll be concerned. 
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 00:51 »
This is what we tell people but if they want them sexed at a young age and if we are not 90% we will replace for a female of same or as close to that breed if we can

GUARANTEE

The birds health is guaranteed for a week after sale.  If you are concerned about any health problems please contact me within the first week.  I'm sorry I can't guarantee them for longer, but I do feel this is fair as I have no control over how the birds are fed and cared for after they leave me, as well as any stress or disease they might be exposed to in their new home.

I feel that by offering a weeks guarantee, you have plenty of time to observe the birds at home, and be satisfied they are healthy before any outside influences beyond my control could affect them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 00:53 by AL Hathaway »
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 06:26 »
I would make sure you give a signed and dated printed copy of this every time somebody buys any birds off you Annie. You keep meticulous records so would always be able to prove then who bought what and when they bought any birds off you (I remember having to fill out my details when I came and got Rock, Roll and Doowop the 3 amberlink girls off you).

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 09:28 »
She would expect me to go to her though ANHBC!  She called me twice when she wanted to buy them.

The first time she said she wanted to buy some hens (3) and did we deliver as they were for a present for her Mum.  I said we didn't usually, but that we would be out her way the following week.  That was no good as she wanted them THAT DAY!  Then she called back a month later, not saying who she was.  She doesn't drive, and sending a taxi 8 miles would cost a lot of money.  I did mention the bus!  But we did deliver them the second time, just charging her £4 towards fuel, only to find a car in the drive!

That's a car I said.  Yes I know she answered, its my Mum's!    :unsure: :unsure:  I just hope she doesn't phone back!  And that her 3 hens live forever!!!   :D

Fingers crossed.   :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 09:47 »
While I was reading this, she called again.  Chicken died in the night.  She said it was only about 4pm yesterday that she looked ill, so sounds like a heart attack.

She was fine about it, and wants another 2!  So thanks for all your support everyone.  Sometimes I look forward to not having to worry about chickens anymore!  It is always upsetting when one dies, wherever it is!

xx
Opinions please on run and coupe

Started by lewsley86 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 07:15
by joyfull
xx
Opinions on vaccines??

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 09:11
by Sassy
xx
Opinions on Barnevelders

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 16:03
by joyfull
xx
Opinions please, what colours?

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2007, 10:17
by Gloria

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.