• 19 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Cheapo Propagators
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 09:32 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Quote from: "muntjac"
stop think . seed trays with coat hangers to make hoops and then cadge some dry cleaning bags ............... werks for me  :wink:  :lol:

I've stopped, thought. Why mess around with coat hangers.? These are entirely self supporting, when inflated the 'dome' is a good 2" clear of the compost. The bags can be used time & time again.

If I blew into it the plants would be dead before they germinated! I use the containers our grapes comes in, nice size with a lid, works a treat and I am recycling,errr thats not very punk.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

WG.

Re: Cheapo Propagators
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 09:51 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"

Trust a retired police officer to come up with a blow in the bag idea!!  Great idea BTW :tongue2:

I'll give you that one!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thank you, kind sir.  I wonder if your idea will cause a blip on Tesco's computer systems ...  "Why is everyone buying these plastic bags this week???"

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
Cheapo Propagators
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 12:19 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
stop think . seed trays with coat hangers to make hoops and then cadge some dry cleaning bags ............... werks for me  :wink:  :lol:

I've stopped, thought. Why mess around with coat hangers.? These are entirely self supporting, when inflated the 'dome' is a good 2" clear of the compost. The bags can be used time & time again.

Must admit I had gone the muntjac way, but this would work just as well.

I'll try both, just to keep the peace  :D
Veg? That's chips, innit?

Trillium

Cheapo Propagators
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 15:21 »
Must admit I've been using Digger's method for years - buy my own clear bags too. Have also been starting seeds between damp towels for years as well; best way to know which old seeds will germinate.

Over here we can also get 1 kilo rectangular clear plastic tubs of salad greens, which I save for starter seeds and put the lid on - voila, mini propogator. Same with the occasional store birthday cake - turned upside down, the clear dome is plenty deep for a large starter pot. The 'lid' is black but a bit of cling film will solve that part.   :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Cheapo Propagators
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 15:36 »
I've used clear plastic tubs in the past, the big ones that you get meat in. The advantage I find with the bags is that it completely seals the seed tray inside, so I don't get muck & water on Mrs. Diggers paintwork, if I've got them in the house.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
propagators???

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Kristen
xx
Propagators

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 19:34
by mashauk
xx
Propagators?

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 07:34
by DD.
xx
Using propagators

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 17:13
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 31 queries.