Propagators

• 17 Replies

noshed

Propagators
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 12:06 »
I use a heated propogator for toms and chillies and geraniums. Most other things are on the window sill and then potted on to my plastic greenhouses.
Things like herbs, lettuce, cabbage etc seem to germinate OK in my cold frame or cold greenhouse.
Peas and broad beans have gone straight in the soil and are doing fine.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Propagators
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 12:41 »
Quote from: "noshed"
I use a heated propogator for toms and chillies and geraniums. Most other things are on the window sill and then potted on to my plastic greenhouses.
Things like herbs, lettuce, cabbage etc seem to germinate OK in my cold frame or cold greenhouse.
Peas and broad beans have gone straight in the soil and are doing fine.

Q.E.D.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mashauk

Re: Propagators
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 19:34 »
Quote from: "DD."
Where has this penchant for starting everything in propagators come from? I've noticed this year numerous posts about problems with weak & leggy plants as a result of raising unsuitable seeds in heated propagators, or indeed in the house.

Not all seeds are suitable for raising in this manner, broad beans, brassicas for example. A cold frame or unheated greenhouse will give them a sufficient enough boost. Too high a temperature will lead to problems, even to the seed rotting.

Propagators are fine for plants that need more warmth to grow, tomatoes, chillies etc., but even these should not be left in the propagator with their lid on once germinated, otherwise it's back to the old problem of leggy plants again!

I do agree with you, except I have no cold frame or greenhouse (either unheated or heated since my polytunnel ripped and blew down) and basically only one window ledge wide enough to put anything on in the whole house.  My propagator has been a waste of money anyway, not managing to germinate anything really, so I've discovered a new way.  I take a plastic takeaway box fill it with compost and seeds, water and leave them on the dining table, seems to be doing much better than the prop does (unless the prop is just in the wrong place of course!) - my problem seems to be getting things to live once they're germinated.

I'm hoping next year to have enough money to buy a greenhouse, but we're only allowed 6'x4' so I won't be able to do everything in it.

xx
Propagators?

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 07:34
by DD.
xx
Using propagators

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 17:13
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
propagators???

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Kristen
xx
Can widowsill propagators get too hot?

Started by Ethel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2019, 22:52
by Ethel

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 36 queries.