Propagators

• 17 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Propagators
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:36 »
Where has this penchant for starting everything in propagators come from? I've noticed this year numerous posts about problems with weak & leggy plants as a result of raising unsuitable seeds in heated propagators, or indeed in the house.

Not all seeds are suitable for raising in this manner, broad beans, brassicas for example. A cold frame or unheated greenhouse will give them a sufficient enough boost. Too high a temperature will lead to problems, even to the seed rotting.

Propagators are fine for plants that need more warmth to grow, tomatoes, chillies etc., but even these should not be left in the propagator with their lid on once germinated, otherwise it's back to the old problem of leggy plants again!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Propagators
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 08:47 »
Absolutly agree Dave.  The only things I start in the propergator are the ones which say on the packet to germinate in warmth.  I take them out as soon as they are germinated and grown a little bit and keep them covered for a few more days on the greenhouse staging.  I cover them with fleece if the night is going to be cold.

crowndale

Propagators
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:51 »
Never use them, use my conservatory instead!  Mind you the melon seeds I sowed the other week haven't germinated so maybe they would have benefitted from the extra warmth!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

gobs

Propagators
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:53 »
And I don't use one at all. :D

Whilst there is some heating in the house, on a sunny window sill everything comes up I ever tried to grow, melons and peppers and all. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

backpain

Propagating
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:05 »
Hi Guys,

I've started everything in propagators in my conni.  I'm new to this growing thing so you'll have to forgive my ignorance.

My tomatoes are going great guns and are in pots now.  Pea's came up and are in the grownd under clotches.  Lettice is still in there and growing ok.  The broad beans haven't come up! And my herds are really slow.

I took the lids off some time ago, but left it on the herbs as they were so small.  Is it because there wasn't sufficent light if March for growing herbs?

I'm growing Basil, Tyme and Origano.

Cheers

There may be so many people using them because like me they saw them in the discount shop and couldn't resist a bargain.

gobs

Propagators
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 09:14 »
No, they are just tiny to start with, it's normal, try the broad beans somewhere cold. :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
Propagators
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 09:17 »
Only things I use for propagators are plastic bags or those clear containers meat comes in.

Lettuce does fine in the frost free greenhouse. Peas - straight in the ground, (no way could I start the equivalent of a 150' row inside anyway!).

Herbs were started inside a few weeks ago, in pots, with an upside down meat thing on top. Moved to frost free greenhouse as soon as they showed & they are going great & really sturdy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Propagators
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 09:18 »
Quote from: "gobs"
No, they are just tiny to start with, it's normal, try the broad beans somewhere cold. :D

Yup, if the broad beans are too damp & warm, they may have rotted.

iwantanallotment

Propagators
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 09:29 »
Ooops...I went out & bought 2 propagators last week & potted 'em up, after seeing how everyone else seems to be doing it  :oops:
Only the unheated ones though - basically like your meat container over pots, I think DD....should they be ok, or should I remove lids on those which have germinated? Seemed like extra protection throughout the frosts too, but there is an incredible amount of condensation in lids that I've been a bit worried about, ie waterlogging....?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Propagators
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 09:33 »
Quote from: "iwantanallotment"
Ooops...I went out & bought 2 propagators last week & potted 'em up, after seeing how everyone else seems to be doing it  :oops:
Only the unheated ones though - basically like your meat container over pots, I think DD....should they be ok, or should I remove lids on those which have germinated? Seemed like extra protection throughout the frosts too, but there is an incredible amount of condensation in lids that I've been a bit worried about, ie waterlogging....?

Remove the lids off those that have germinated, otherwise they will go leggy. I shake excess condensation off the lids daily. If there's a lot, you may have overwatered in the first place.

spud

• Experienced Member
Propagators
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:41 »
Interesting thread, I've never had a heated propagator, and never had great success with sowing seeds! I get enough germinated to do!

Just this morning I've taken trays out of the hot press after 48 hours and they germ quite quickly in there, leggy at times and I thought it was just the dark!

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

backpain

Propagators
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 09:46 »
I Did chuck a few broad beans in the ground near the fence and they're showing.

I think I'll get some more herbs going in pots this time.

It'll all fall into place....live and learn I always say.

iwantanallotment

Propagators
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 09:53 »
Thanks DD, think I'll take all lids off & replace with fleece.
Sooo much to learn, and so many different kinds of pampering to ensure healthy, edible plants!
I'm starting to understand now why my Dad gave up last summer & turfed his veg patch, after losing everything to floods. He was devastated, and after all the initial work and pampering I now know he put in, it makes sense.
Today I'm taking him some plants over & have convinced him to try again - he agreed, provided I do the digging  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Propagators
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 10:18 »
Quote from: "backpain"
I Did chuck a few broad beans in the ground near the fence and they're showing.

Just shows that you don't need to put them in a propagator! Don't know if you have a pigeon problem like what we have, if you do, you may need to net/fleece thm for physical protection. Also mice (and a lot of other things) are partial to them.

purplebean

Propagators
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 10:25 »
My propagator has peppers, aubergine, toms, melons, celeriac and celery but that's about it. The rest go in trays on the windowsill or outside and I tend to put quite a few things in the ground direct.

xx
propagators???

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Kristen
xx
Propagators?

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 07:34
by DD.
xx
Using propagators

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 17:13
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
Cheapo Propagators

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 15:36
by DD.

Page created in 1.191 seconds with 36 queries.