Chillies plants shrivelling Q.

• 5 Replies

skatenchips

Chillies plants shrivelling Q.
« on: May 06, 2011, 20:20 »
Hi Folks

I have a mate in Gosport that has sent me a couple of pics of his chilli plants
that are shrivelling up in his upright plastic zipper growhouse.

he says................

Put them in the little Greenhouse a couple of days ago, the door is opened in the Morning before it gets to hot, and then shut again about 1 hour or so before it gets dusk, so enough warmth gets back in there .

Jalapeno that is just starting to go white on the tips.

Fresno that is all but dead.

and a Bird eye much the same.

he has just potted them on with fresh compost and watered the roots before padded
the stem into place...them watered over the top.

Any thoughts.

cheers

Gazza

Lardman

Re: Chillies plants shrivelling Q.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 20:21 »
Thems been cooked.

teasmade!

• 3rd Pumpkin Contest 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 22:30 »
not that we know loads about chillies but i think they might have got too cold?? OH grows them every year and they love the heat but you must keep up with the watering and they do not like direct sunlight. love conditions like toms and a bit warmer if you can but again water and watch??
not sure if this helps but we keep ours in a very warm conservatory uptill end april only just gone out in poly and watched at every given moment for slight wilting and door closed at all times. they grow very well in these conditions here not sure where you are so good luck :) :)
dig dig dig dig digging, rid me of those little weeds....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 22:54 »
The compost looks very wet which chillies don't like unless it's very temporary, and small zip-up growhouses will have been subject to big variations in temperatures over the last week or so despite the care taken (probably 30C down to near freezing at a guess.)

The surviving plants should be moved indoors to a light windowsill (where the temperature fluctuations will be less) and kept drier than they appear to be from the photos (ironically the outdoor temperature fluctuations are probably less of a problem now if the forecasts are to be believed but they need a lot of TLC if they are to have any chance of survival IMO.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 23:19 »
If you look at the stems you can see they're pale green rather than a nice healthy green. Id guess the plants were raised in a warm room by a window.

Plants need to adjust to sunlight just as they do the cold, exposing them to bright direct sunlight, like that which we had last week without any preparation is never a good idea.  Im sure someone will be around in a bit to explain the science behind it  :D

The Jal will be fine, remove the dead leaves from the birds eye and harden it off properly and it should be ok. The fresno looks a gonner though, and as Jayg says the compost looks too wet.

skatenchips

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:19 »
Thanks for the replies folks,I would guess that bazza has soaked the compost in an attempt to
buck up the chillies at the last min having seen em frazzle.

Yes,he raised em all in the kitchen with windows as there only means of direct light and as he has a south facing garden in Fareham hants it can get hot as I recall but as he transferred last years into the zipper without incident I guess he thought it was OK again.

maybe he didnt anticipate the extra heat,hence meltdown.

I will suggest your answers and thank you for replying so soon.

cheers

Gazza

xx
Chitted potatoes shrivelling

Started by justinm on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 10:33
by jameshuk
xx
Broad beans shrivelling and drying out - cause?

Started by VegPlotter on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 11:14
by 4th season allot
xx
Baby cucumbers shrivelling and turning crisp!

Started by Lottie Digger on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2016, 18:39
by JayG
xx
Chillies

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 18:25
by mashauk

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 32 queries.