novice onion grower - stupid question time

• 4 Replies

annied

novice onion grower - stupid question time
« on: February 27, 2011, 18:24 »
Hi hopefully you wont all laugh at this question which is kinda stupid but just may save me a lot of waiting around if I'm wrong  ::)

Planted red onion sets last autumn and they have survived the birds and appear to be growing.....well the tops are. As I didn't plant them too deeply I notice that the original set has disintegrated and gone soggy. Now I'm hoping this was just the original food source to get the plant going and that the onion itself will be growing beneath. Is this correct or has the wet winter done for my onions and I'm wasting my time   ???
Thanks in advance

Babstreefern

Re: novice onion grower - stupid question time
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 18:41 »
Sounds like they've rotted away :(  Were they winter onions? If not, that's why they're dead :nowink:

Just to be on the safe side, try and slide your finger from the top down the side of the possible onion, very gently, and see if there's any bulb there.  If no onion, then I think its safe to say, that they've gone to that place where all onions go to die :ohmy:
Babs

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 18:50 »
Hi hopefully you wont all laugh at this question which is kinda stupid but just may save me a lot of waiting around if I'm wrong  ::)

Planted red onion sets last autumn and they have survived the birds and appear to be growing.....well the tops are. As I didn't plant them too deeply I notice that the original set has disintegrated and gone soggy. Now I'm hoping this was just the original food source to get the plant going and that the onion itself will be growing beneath. Is this correct or has the wet winter done for my onions and I'm wasting my time   ???
Thanks in advance

Yes the set uses the stored energy to get the plant growing, it will then grow the full onion which provide the same thing for the flower/seed head if left long enough. If the tops are green and healthy they should be ok.

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 19:43 »
I am fairly new to onion growing myself but having had this experience for the first time last year, I can tell you that this is normal. Provided there's green growth above ground, all is well.

I had the same surprise last January (2010). I had a close look at the healthy plants and none of them appeared to have any sort of onion bulb - the original set seemed to have disintegrated and left just the outer skin. I thought someone had replaced my onions with leeks!

Anyway, I just left them and they bulbed up as normal later in the year.

So don't worry - it's OK, they just do that.

annied

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 20:19 »
Cheers
thanks evryone for the comforting repilies. Hopefully we will have some great onions in a few months
 :lol:

xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
Stupid question time

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
Novice veg grower - advice please!

Started by HLT on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 11:58
by compostqueen
xx
novice bean grower

Started by catllar on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 09:06
by catllar

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 37 queries.