What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

miggs

Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #315 on: May 27, 2017, 15:01 »
Weeded all the beds, strimmed all the paths. Planted out 18 Tom's, 3 different types.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: May 28, 2017, 18:15 »
Planted out sweetcorn, mini corn, malabar spinach and savoy cabbage.  Did quite a lot of weeding and hoeing.  Had a couple of wildlife encounters. 

The first was several blissed out slow worms basking under the black plastic sheet lid when I uncovered the compost bin to put some stuff in.  They were not moving, so I left the stuff at the side of the bin to go in another day.  The second was when I looked up from planting to find a red kite sitting on the edge of the water butt under the plot tap.  We both did a bit of a 'Oh I didn't know you were there' jump.  He finished his drink and gracefully swooped off down the site, while I kicked myself for not having my phone in my back pocket so I could have taken a picture  :D

jaydig

« Reply #317 on: May 29, 2017, 10:23 »
Planted out sweetcorn, mini corn, malabar spinach and savoy cabbage.  Did quite a lot of weeding and hoeing.  Had a couple of wildlife encounters. 

The first was several blissed out slow worms basking under the black plastic sheet lid when I uncovered the compost bin to put some stuff in.  They were not moving, so I left the stuff at the side of the bin to go in another day.  The second was when I looked up from planting to find a red kite sitting on the edge of the water butt under the plot tap.  We both did a bit of a 'Oh I didn't know you were there' jump.  He finished his drink and gracefully swooped off down the site, while I kicked myself for not having my phone in my back pocket so I could have taken a picture  :D

It's encounters like these that add to the joy of having an allotment,  you are so lucky to have wildlife like this in your area.  My sightings this week include one large, ginger cat, and one very cheeky, fat rabbit.  Ah well!!

Aled

« Reply #318 on: May 29, 2017, 21:20 »
Weeded the plot quite well, looks good I must say. Earthed up the potatoes, and planted out another lot of lettuce seeds. Mixed the compost bin. Also washed the car!
Cheers
Aled

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #319 on: May 29, 2017, 23:02 »
Dug over a bed and planted some more broad bean seeds (Karmzyn), potted on some brassica seedlings, planted out climbing french beans, Halloween pumpkins and lettuce outdoors. Planted cucumber in the polytunnel and tied up all the tomatoes. Felt like a productive day and we even got some rain 😀

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #320 on: May 30, 2017, 16:57 »
Lots of weeding, sowing and planting including squash, celery, spring onions, swede, French beans, more carrots and filled gaps in the parsnip rows.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2017, 19:01 »
Started on the last bit of plot I haven't tackled yet, although its so humid I didn't get a lot done. Amongst the nettles, lush clumps of grass and forest of volunteer spuds I found various bits of comfrey which I am happy about - the light soil needs all the feed it can get, and the bees will be happy too!

snowdrops

« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2017, 20:44 »
At home in the potting shed I potted on 12 aubergines ( how did that happen) into their final pots, potted on the cucumbers to try to spring them into growth, then the gherkins.
Then I planted out some more tiny flower seedlings mainly poppies I think although all the permanent marker has washed off👿. Revamped the soil in the 2 planters by the back door, 1 has the fig tree in & the other the saffron corms, then planted the alpine strawberries grown from seed into them
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

candygold1

« Reply #323 on: May 31, 2017, 17:46 »
yet another large bag of broad beans picked, removed the plants that have finished and dug over to make room for some more beetroot.
nice tub of strawberries and some pea tops and beet leaves and chives to add to my salad tonight.
strimmed the grass put some more string up for the runners and then sat in the chair with a nice cold beer.

snowdrops

« Reply #324 on: May 31, 2017, 18:45 »
Weeded the onion bed, had a cuppa with quiet Dave, then hubby turned up, so with Dave's help we moved the brassica cage from last years bed to this years bed which just happened to be as far from each other as they could be 😄, cleared all the spent psb & a few weeds, then took up the old rotten wooden edging ready to burn it next week. Then hubby rotorvated it & I added some chicken pellets & the leaf mold. Oh & hubby put down 3 slabs over the bed so we don't have to walk all the way round the shed to get to the far path. Another cuppa & home for lunch

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #325 on: May 31, 2017, 19:28 »
I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks, so doing a bit of catching up. I've started spraying my broad beans with a weak washing-up liquid mixture because of aphids. This worked a treat last year, so I'm hoping it will have the same effect this year - but it's very time consuming!
Other than that, my spuds have gone bonkers to the extent that I can't earth them up any more and I've been keeping on top of the weeding fairly well.
Only one of my leek seeds has germinated! I think I'll just have to buy some seedlings as I think it's too late to try a new batch.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #326 on: May 31, 2017, 21:09 »
Did some weeding, digging, planted out some tomatoes and pruned the plum tree which is covered in aphids  :(.

Njlongden72

« Reply #327 on: June 02, 2017, 12:51 »
Weeded the onion bed and asparagus bed, very pleased 4 have appeared this week after being planted in April

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #328 on: June 02, 2017, 14:34 »
Dug over a very large bed and put out the sweetcorn. Also managed to put in a row of carrots and French beans then watered.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #329 on: June 02, 2017, 19:26 »
Weed removal and not much more. Crops are going great.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 45 queries.