What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #345 on: June 12, 2017, 21:46 »
A weeding trip after dinner, weeded 2 short rows(5ft) of peas then put up some posts & string for them to grow up, then weeded the 6 rows of parsnips, oh & pulled out a few large weeds in the potatoes. Noticed some flowers forming on theearlt potatoes 😄 Soon be time for a furtle.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chillimummy

« Reply #346 on: June 12, 2017, 23:10 »
Tomatoes finally planted in the greenhouse in flower buckets on top of grow bags. Have black russian, brandywine, some beef tomatoes that can't remember name, roma and moneymaker.
Sowed fennel in pots.
Not been to plot for couple of weeks due to holiday and being ill but next visit will be to sow peas and mange tout and plant out all my french bean plants.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Aled

« Reply #347 on: June 13, 2017, 09:51 »
Spent some time weeding last night, then added some organic feed to the plot. For some reason, some of the plants are thriving, and others (my French beans especially) seem to be struggling. Tomatoes and Cucumber were fed as well. Eating lettuce and radishes at the moment.
Cheers
Aled

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #348 on: June 13, 2017, 21:26 »
Weeding, tending, watering and a pint afterwards!

snowdrops

« Reply #349 on: June 13, 2017, 22:07 »
Had a bonfire to burn yet more rubbish, weeded the peas,broad beans,potatoes & various other bits. Played with our granddaughter when her & mummy visited, well mainly watched her like a hawk & salvaged some strawberries before she ate them all! 😊, she went home filthy, stained in red juice & a full tummy lol, hope she's not sick.

Aled

« Reply #350 on: June 14, 2017, 19:58 »
Yesterdays feed has improved things some growth and greenery today.
Watered this evening we are back in the game....he said hopefully!
Cheers
Aled

chillimummy

« Reply #351 on: June 14, 2017, 23:49 »
Finally managed to get to plot and was looking bit overgrown  :ohmy:
Spent most of the day there and feel more in control.
Weeded my onions.
Planted my french beans but forgot to take my peas to sow!
My new half plot has a wildflower patch which looks very pretty with foxgloves and calendula but it had gone bit wild and the weeds in it had covered my strawberries. Dug out all the weeds and dug between strawberries so they look better.
My paths are covered in weeds that have grown through fabric so started tackling them.
Need some wood chippings or bark.
Tried to trim grass around edges but it's grown quite long. My plot neighbour used to cut the grass between our plots but he has given up his plot this year so think need to invest in push mower.
Back tomorrow to tackle some more.
Will sow mange tout and peas and weed where my squash, pumpkins and courgettes are going. Oh will rotovate that area at weekend.
Lots of weeds and foliage to burn so will also tackle that tomorrow.
Two weeks away and plot starts to look neglected but hopefully in couple of days it will be tidier and more productive  :)   

Lardman

« Reply #352 on: June 15, 2017, 18:56 »
Weeded beds 3, 4 and 5 there's nothing in them but a few apples and a plum I'd healed in so It wasn't too difficult. Didn't see a single worm in the beds at all  though, completely lifeless :( I also tried to make a start weeding the asparagus but gave up after plunging my arm into nettles one too many times.

Weeded around the apples and pears on tier 2 although the raspberry canes aren't making life easy - I really should have removed them all rather than just digging gaps for the trees,  it felt like such a waste though.

Put a really poor support up for the rio grande toms in the top GH - note to self to make something better before the fruit sets otherwise it will end in tears

Sprayed some of the more tiresome weeds creeping in from next door  :wub:

Planted out some of the apples from last year which were still in pots, they'll need moving again but at least I wont have to keep picking the pots up when they blow over.

It looks and feels a little more like a veg patch now, although I really should have been working today  :blush:

chillimummy

« Reply #353 on: June 15, 2017, 19:02 »
Another useful visit.
Peas sown and then back tomorrow to sow mange tout.
Weeded and dug half of area for squash, back later to finish.
Carried on tackling path, pulled up weeds and made path narrower and straighter!
Still stuff to burn which will do tomorrow.
Still overgrown patches. Around raspberries is pretty bad but at the very end of plot there are loads of fruit bushes and they are like a jungle.  :ohmy:
Didn't get chance to tackle that area when took on the extra half plot and it is like a jungle although you can see how much fruit is growing just about  ;)
Lots of gooseberries, red ones, blackcurrants and jostaberry.
At end of season am going to strim, put weed fabric down and chippings then will actually be able to see how many bushes there are there  ;) 

chillimummy

« Reply #354 on: June 15, 2017, 21:17 »
Back to plot again tonight! On a mission to make up for past couple of weeks  :D
Finished weeding and digging rest of large bed. Ready for rotovating at weekend.
Sowed mange tout.
Back tomorrow and plan to burn rubbish and tackle raspberry bed.
After that and a final small patch of grass and weeds to dig, my original half plot is in good condition and ready for brassicas and squash.
While OH is rotovating at the weekend, will tackle large bed on new half plot which just has superficial weeds as we had already weeded and rotovated that and will sow spinach, beetroot, turnip, spring onions, chard and swede.
Feel very behind with everything but hopefully will catch up. Lots of things at home but seems slow germination and growth  ;)     

Aled

« Reply #355 on: June 16, 2017, 09:36 »
My shallots and my French beans are really struggling to get going. Can anybody suggest anything I can do to give them a boost?
Many thanks
Aled

chillimummy

« Reply #356 on: June 16, 2017, 16:39 »
Started tackling the rasberry bed. Hard going as digging up huge piles of buttercups  ;)
Have another weed pile now to burn!
Earthed up potatoes.
Back soon for round two to finish that bed and start burning rubbish. If time will start sowing some seed.

chillimummy

« Reply #357 on: June 16, 2017, 21:35 »
Second visit to plot. Finished digging around raspberries and looks such a lot better.
Think I need to fence around them to keep them under control and then make the area easier to weed.
Don't think I want to do this again next year  ;)
Started burning rubbish pile but slow going.
Half plot I took over has two compost bins which are really overgrown. Covered them with cardboard to help rot down and started pulling up weeds around them. Full of nettles, foxgloves, general weeds and raspberries.
Barely made a dent in it  ;)
Sprayed weed killer in small patch I cleared. Think needs strimming.
Covered another bit next to fruit bushes with black plastic. Feel like am moving plastic around to try and control weeds.  ;)

chillimummy

« Reply #358 on: June 18, 2017, 21:09 »
OH rotovated large area ready for squash and pumkins.
Started weeding superficial weeds on big area on new half plot and sowed spinach and turnips.
Will finish next visit and then sow beetroot, swede, chard, spring onions and pak choi.

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #359 on: June 19, 2017, 22:55 »
Dropped by after work and got the hosepipe out. Sprinkled some Vitax D-14 on my spuds and drenched them all.
Roosters are doing very well..

Eat a few rasps and Logan berries whilst wandering around with the hose. Where I've strimmed the Buckwheat down, I'm going to rotavate with my Howard 220 now I've got it running.. Hopefully it'll do a better job than Banty.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 44 queries.