What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2017, 12:39 »
Potted up my sweetcorn in their cardboard tubes should have checked them a couple of days ago some tap roots over 2 inches. An hour rough digging will finish off tomorrow, checked carrots no sign yes but 1st earlly pots peeping through compost  in the greenhouse..... then off to work
:D I garden therefore I am

snowdrops

« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2017, 18:53 »
7 hour stint today with about 4hours from hubby. He rotorvated the potato,squash & another 3 beds. I had a huge bonfire, having fetched a load of wood from our daughters last night, got all the weeds burnt it got so hot. Hubby fetched me a load of confidential paperwork I've been shredding but much quicker to burn it. Then I tidied out both big & little sheds, I can actual see the floor in the big one again. But not in the little one as we keep the rotorvator in there & I like to keep it hidden behind a load of cardboard boxes. Cooked a sausage sandwich, & had a surprise visit from our little granddaughter & mummy, plus a couple of cups of tea. All in all a lovely day & the plot looks superb, nothing much in it but that won't take long to fill it
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

miggs

« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2017, 19:23 »
Nothing at the plot today, but another seed sowing session in the potting shed at home. Probably go back to the plot in the morning.

Paul Plots

« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2017, 00:49 »
I dug a good deep hole and plonked in an old fence... strung some wire across from a wooden arch then tied in my blackberry.

(The rest of the day = household jobs that I have been putting off for a while but loads of plotting tomorrow ;) )
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 00:50 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2017, 21:30 »
Sowed my broad beans yesterday and today the onion sets went in.
I'm a little nervous because a friend got me a load of cow manure this winter but I'm not sure if it's old enough. I have no experience so I'm not sure what constitutes 'well rotted'! One person thought I should leave it for a year whilst another said it would be fine. Only one way to find out I suppose.

Paul Plots

« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2017, 22:32 »
Sowed my broad beans yesterday and today the onion sets went in.
I'm a little nervous because a friend got me a load of cow manure this winter but I'm not sure if it's old enough. I have no experience so I'm not sure what constitutes 'well rotted'! One person thought I should leave it for a year whilst another said it would be fine. Only one way to find out I suppose.

It may well depend upon what you are using it for - which crops and how you apply it. Dug in, mulched around or into a trench and forked in before covering with soil.

Some crops hate newly manured ground... I think it'd be ok to place it around fruit bushes but keep it away from the stems.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2017, 08:03 »
Potted on aubergines, peppers, chilies and toms yesterday.  Off up the plot once my morning coffee has kicked in.  I want to do some more digging before it gets too warm  :)

miggs

« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2017, 09:29 »
As the weather is looking good for the weekend I expect to be busy. I have got plans to put in my Onions and shallots later today when the sun burns away the damp. I will carry on digging plots ready to take spuds next weekend. Have been reading spud planting tips on here for a few days now, need some Potato fertiliser now.

miggs

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2017, 15:54 »
Just got back from the plot. Planted about 100 Onion's and approx 20 Red shallots. Will have to go back on Sunday to plant the rest. I have another bag of Onions and 3 bags of Shallots to plant.
Strimmed all the paths and it's looking good again.

Paul Plots

« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2017, 16:54 »
Lots of grass cutting and sweet-pea a planting (first lot).

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2017, 09:07 »
Yesterday I did do some digging and watered the cabbage, spinach and onions that have recently been planted on the plot.  Also some strimming of edges.

Today is a big seedling catch-up.  I need to shuffle stuff around again and make some room in the greenhouse - wish me luck  :lol:

gazmet

« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2017, 17:25 »
Sowed asparagus seeds 3 years ago. Finally getting my reward.
IMG_0185.JPG

miggs

« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2017, 19:14 »
After a couple of hours down at the plot this morning, I can safely say all my Onion sets are in. I did a rough count with the second bag and there approx 25 sets per row. Each bag did 6 rows. I think I will be ok for Onions. I also got 4 bags of Shallots in. Made a bed approx 1ft x 10ft larger, to keep all the edges of the beds in line with each other. Strimmed all the paths and got a bit of sunburn for my troubles.

Paul Plots

« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2017, 20:41 »
Watered.... picked purple sprouting... hoed a little

(Onions sprouting, shallots green tufted, beetroot = two leaves showing, transplanted raspberries looking good and even some early flower buds) :)

Aled

« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2017, 09:41 »
Double dug and manured the plot on Sunday. I'll give it a week to settle then i'll rotovate and plant. Also planted out my strawberries.
Right we have now started proper!
Cheers
Aled

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 45 queries.