What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2017, 11:49 »
Thought plenty of time this morning before work to plant beetroot, parsnip and turnip seeds, and some swede hadn't bargained on resident Robin overseeing trowel work from 3 inches away and hopping round my feet slowed things up a little, so just planted 2 rows parsnips and a row of beet
:D I garden therefore I am

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2017, 11:13 »
Down to plot for a couple of hours. Erected a blue hoop tunnel covered with debris netting and planted out some summer broccoli from home. Then planted half a dozen summer cabbages from a local garden centre ( some missing from a strip so only £1 not £3.99) as one of my friends would say rude not too😂😂

Threw a bit of water onto beetroot seedlings and onions it seems very dry here at present.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Paul Plots

« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2017, 01:32 »
Planted one long row of gladioli for cut flowers and four new dahlias - again for cut flowers for the house.

Readied a bed for sweet pea plants using canes at each end and a long cross-bar then tree prunings in-between.
Planting out tomorrow.

Watered as little rain in Sussex - the same in Hampshire it seems.

Nice to have time to potter... beginning to get the hang of being retired.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Aled

« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2017, 09:09 »
First bean plant has just popped through! :)
Cheers
Aled

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2017, 10:36 »
Sat with a cup of coffee 5.30 this morning and admired the weedless ground... for now, painted potting shed and full green house of little seedlings... al's right with the world, well my world :D

Njlongden72

« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2017, 14:20 »
Planted two rows of asparagus, dug over another patch, only one to go and did some watering, it's so dry here had no rain in a couple of weeks

victoria park

« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2017, 16:18 »
Planted out the first caulis of the season under mesh. They're looking magnificent at the moment, couldn't have had a better upbringing. Started to plant out the sprouted paper pot parsnips.

A bag of PSB/lettuce/rocket/spinach for the table and noticed some flower buds on the early sungold tomatoes. Very pleased as early for me.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #202 on: April 14, 2017, 12:55 »
Bit of an update from the last couple of weeks, digging in manure, emptying composters (good black stuff!), first earlies and shallots in, weeding, seed sowing in polytunnel, harvesting rhubarb and digging out an old tree root (tree long since logged up and burned in stove). So, busy times but great fun.

candygold1

« Reply #203 on: April 14, 2017, 18:10 »
made frame up for netting of peas, sown couple of rows of beetroot, removed the finished psb and dug bed over ready for planting the beans later,
sown another bin off carrots

very dry at the moment so everything had a good drink need some rain down south

Luiska

« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2017, 00:53 »
Five weeks into my first allotment plot it's been all systems in high gear. Just loving it. A new polytunnel put up with friends' help last Sunday means I could import my seedlings from a friend's greenhouse today - mostly perennial herbs, flowers and tomatoes - re-pot the Ailsa Craig tomatoes (but no rush with the Roma and Gardener's Delight - why are they so far behind?), sowed Czar runner beans, borlottis, double red sweet corn & various zucchinis in pots. Plus - yay! - finish the third of my asparagus trenches: altogether 10 each of Pacific 2000, Ariane & Stewart's Purple. A bit wonky, but I'm not addicted to straight lines. Last night a neighbour let me cut my dinner from his asp. plot and it was just the incentive needed to get me through the last stage of a hard process! Fresh asparagus has nothing to do with those tired bundles from Spain in the supermarket. 
optimized-zaqz.jpg

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2017, 16:08 »
Got my bum out of bed early and then had a lazy morning  ::)

It's a 45 minute drive from my home in Goole to my allotment in York, so got here about dinnertime. (I usually work around York, so it's local to go on in an evening for an hour or so).

Got my spud rows dug and planted. 1.5kg Sarpo Mira and 2kg Rooster.

Was given some caulie seedlings by a neighbour so split them off into seed trays and have them sitting in some water in the greenhouse.

Planted a small row of white beetroot (Detroit White) and a row of carrots (Resistafly F1) under glass outside.

Also planted the other half of my allotment with Buckwheat as a green manure. Did several rows about 2 feet apart so I can walk down/ rotavate between them.

Now I'm just sat in the greenhouse having a rest and a drink of nice cold water before I pack up and go home.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

paulusm

« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2017, 17:58 »
  • De-compacted and raked over the corner of the plot where SOMEONE had driven a tractor for a manure delivery
  • Dug over small patch -  maybe for squash, wheelbarrow full of bindweed root
  • Assembled VERY EXPENSIVE fruit cage frame. No prices shown at the garden centre til I got to the checkout, turned out to be £7 per pole! :wacko:
  • Drank tea to calm myself
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 18:03 by paulusm »

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2017, 09:30 »
So, this is my second year of veggie growing and I'm excited and hoping I can repeat last year's successes and improve on the disasters!
I planted my potatoes last week and a few seeds under my cold frame. This year I'm going to stagger the seedlings so that I don't have so many gluts.
I've been watering the beds for the last few nights because it's been so dry.
Several seeds in the cold frame are showing tiny shoots... this is the bit I love!

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2017, 09:37 »
Sowed my broad beans yesterday and today the onion sets went in.
I'm a little nervous because a friend got me a load of cow manure this winter but I'm not sure if it's old enough. I have no experience so I'm not sure what constitutes 'well rotted'! One person thought I should leave it for a year whilst another said it would be fine. Only one way to find out I suppose.

It may well depend upon what you are using it for - which crops and how you apply it. Dug in, mulched around or into a trench and forked in before covering with soil.

Some crops hate newly manured ground... I think it'd be ok to place it around fruit bushes but keep it away from the stems.

Sorry for not acknowledging your helpful reply sooner, Paul Plots. I checked which of my intended crops shouldn't be manured, and I've been cautious about the quantity of manure I've used. Fingers crossed!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2017, 12:38 »
Planted out autumn leeks, bunching onions, turnips and komatsuma.  Gave everything a good water.  Nattered to plot neighbours  :)

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

58 Replies
Last post June 02, 2024, 12:15
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.677 seconds with 52 queries.