old hen wont let new ones in!!

• 5 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
old hen wont let new ones in!!
« on: September 03, 2011, 06:48 »
Morning, well got 3 new hens yesterday which I put in the enclosed run, Lula who is the original hen strutted around the pen squawking and putting on a show, the new ones completely ignored her!  So I thought when its roosting time we'd put Lula in the coop and let her settle and then add new ones (as suggested on here )well Lula went mad as anything when the first girl entered, needless to say new girl gave a sharp exit, so as it was dark and the new ones started to try and fly around run, I took Lula out put her in our back porch area and let the new ones in the coop, I dont think it was the best solution but it was all I could think of.  They will be mixing today in the garden so do you think they will all go in the coop tonight? If not any other suggestions?Or will I need another coop?

daisy1990

Re: old hen wont let new ones in!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 07:08 »
although it looks horrible they will settle.  I would let the old hen go sleepy before trying to pt the new ones in for the next few nights she wont notice nearly so much.  Have some purple spray ready so if she draws blood you can spray the young ones.  If they free range during the day make sure there is more than one place to eat and drink so they can escape each other.  It is worth persevering but ours took a good few weeks before they integrated

Good Luck!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:40 »
I will be letting them together soon.. I thought she was sleepy enough as she was in there a good 30 mins before the others tried to get in, what concerned me was because of the size of a coop if she did attack there would be no where to hide! I have purple spray at the ready, also 3 feeders and 2 water places, there is already an order with the new ones, will get pictures on soon...

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 09:06 »
What I do is to put all the chickens in a different shed or coop for a couple of nights and then return them back to the original coop, it worked for me I think it's the change in surroundings that does the trick, Mike
Mike Rixon

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 12:24 »
Thanks Mike I will try that if all doesn't go well tonight!  She has made herself top hen and is acting like a spoilt child at the moment, making so much noise then hiding in a bush watching them and then going back into her coop, then chasing them! :)

Jones the Search

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:43 »
Put them all in together after dusk and spray them with a dilute solution of cider vinegar. They will all smell the same, this should stop any problems. Half a pint of water with a couple of tablespoons of Cider Apple Vinegar lightly misted over them once they are all perched.  :)
I always use this method if I haven’t been able to introduce them though wire netting for a few days.
 The Cider Apple Vinegar is also good in the drinking water to help promote a good digestive tract and discourage worms. Give one week out of four. A couple of teaspoons of CAV in two litres of water.
 Patricia
Patricia

xx
hen wont lay

Started by olly_62 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 23:07
by Jeanette
xx
She wont perch

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 21:43
by bee
xx
Chooks wont go to bed.

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2013, 01:53
by mohs.ayaz
xx
New hen that wont go to roost

Started by old chook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 12:31
by Mulberry1990

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 28 queries.