Runny Jam!

• 20 Replies

viettaclark

Re: Runny Jam!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 22:38 »
They may wash the fruit before freezing which would get rid of some of the natural pectin on the skin or it may just be a breakdown of cells caused by freezing soft fruit.
I'm going to try using the frozen forest mix but I'll add fresh lemon and cooking apple  (grated skin included) and hope it works......

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 16:44 »
Oh Janey - don't start me on toffee!  I think that's just as temperamental, to the extent that one degree difference from one day to the next gives you caramel you could crack your teeth on or stuff so soft it melds back into one block after being cut!  :ohmy:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 18:01 »
They may wash the fruit before freezing which would get rid of some of the natural pectin on the skin or it may just be a breakdown of cells caused by freezing soft fruit.
I'm going to try using the frozen forest mix but I'll add fresh lemon and cooking apple  (grated skin included) and hope it works......

Don't forget that you can make your own apple pectin to keep in the freezer, do a pectin test on the cooked fruit, and then add enough apple pectin until you a get a blobby jelly clot in the meths. I use 5 fl oz and test.

If you pop any apple peelings and apple cores into the freezer until you have a goodly amount, just cover them with water and simmer until soft. Leave to strain in a jelly bag overnight and bag up the juice in 5 fl oz amounts and pop them into the freezer you can avoid any non setting mishaps.
Also saves time in the long run. I also pop a goodly spoonful of the jam mixture in to a teacup, after I think it has come to a set and leave it in the fridge while I have a well earned cuppa.

I then check that it really has cooked to a set and then bring the jam back to a boil and pot.

Jam is sneaky stuff, sometimes it tries to fool you into thinking it has come to a set when it hasn't. ;) Been caught out like that before >:(

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 09:42 »
Sounds like a plan to me!  ;)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 17:45 »
Just thought I'd add my most recent experience of making this (my favourite) jam.  Prior to the 'runny jam' episode that prompted the original post, I'd only ever made it with fresh blueberries, so presume it was the fact they were frozen that caused the problem.  This time, I therefore allowed the fruit to defrost in the bags and drained the juices off before putting them in the bowl to macerate with the sugar.  Although I still needed to boil it for longer than usual, it did set without recourse to Certo/additional pectin so I was much happier (as I always feel that's cheating!!). 

I would just say that Mrs Ball's tip about leaving a dollop in the fridge for five minutes or so before taking recourse to additional boiling is a good one - if I'd just gone on the chilled saucer/wrinkle test, I'd have boiled it for longer.

So, thanks Mrs B - so glad I asked!!  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 18:41 »
I am so pleased to be of assistance. :D :D

Enjoy your jam making. :)

xx
Runny Jam

Started by min200 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 21:35
by min200
xx
Runny Marmalade

Started by Moosey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 09:44
by Moosey
xx
Runny Chutney

Started by Lee G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 23:30
by Lee G
xx
runny plum jam

Started by the newboy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 12:11
by capt nemo rtd

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.