Just starting

• 8 Replies

Just starting
« on: March 17, 2008, 16:02 »
Hi I am just starting out, actually I have a house (hubby is building nesting box as I type).  The chickens are yet to appear.  Is there any advice you can give me?  My chooks will be living in a converted shed which is 4 x 5 ft and just under 5'7 high. they will have a run to the side which is around 5ft by 3ft with a couple of small bushes in.  I have left the bushes in as I though it would provide some interest.  Is this large enough for 3 chickens?  Also if we build them little ramps do you think they would climb up the to roost on a shelf?  Any advice would be appreciated.  I have read loads of articles and have a Katie Thear book but i recognise that experience is the best teacher!

naturesparadise

Just starting
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 16:11 »
well if your just starting your in the right place welcome to the forum

lots of info and help here and we are happy to help in any way we can

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Just starting
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 17:03 »
That sounds like a wonderful setup - loads of room for three chickens! Ours hop/fly up onto perches to roost so no ramps necessary. I remember someone saying that they will sit in height order according to who is boss so they all want to sit on the top one if you provide perches at different levels!!

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
Just starting
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 17:24 »
Welcome, you are in the right place, take your time and look in the Poultry information pages, there is loads of information posted in there.
Ask the questions and you will get the answers. Everyone is very helpful and friendly.  :D  :D
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Just starting
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 17:54 »
hi, will they be confined to the run, if so they will need at least a metre squared each. the more space the better

poultrygeist

Just starting
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 18:56 »
And if you can provide more of a roosting perch than a shelf (although they prob won't use it !).
A piece of timber about 2" or 3" square with a rounded top edge.

If you do a ramp they'll be able to walk up no prob as long as it's not too steep. Maybe 30-45 degrees max ?

Foxy

Just starting
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 19:22 »
sounds like a wonderful set up Newbie! I agree with PG they probably would prefer a perch to roost on. As you have such a large shed one tip would be to ensure they aren't any draughts whistling through there! Chooks can tolerate cold but hate draughts! waiting for pics!!!!! :lol:  :lol:

Advice
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 09:27 »
Thanks for all your comments.  Bbae, they will be confined to the run at first but I hope (subject to wings being clipped) that they will roam in the garden most days.  It is secure with 6ft fencing around and fairly urban so hopefully I won't have a problem with foxes although they won't be out when there is no one around the house.  I am wondering what to put on the house floor as it is made of concrete, would a scattering of straw be best?  Also how much do you feed them? from what I have read they will eat as much as you give them!

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
Just starting
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 09:55 »
Straw, Sawdust is what I use for the floor, they should have approx 5 oz of feed per bird especially if they are not free ranging all the time. Mine are out all day on the field but I still fill the feeder every morning. I use layers mash as I have been told that this is better for them than pellets. I also leave a dish of crushed oyster shell down for the. I put rough cider vinegar into their water as it is good for their insides. I also give them treats not to much though. :!:  Melon, Grapes, mixed fruit, yoghurt, porridge , apples and pears. They love it. :roll:

question
Starting Out

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 11:13
by Jeanette
xx
Starting to lay less

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 09:11
by Prod
xx
Starting out

Started by moonpig on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 22:42
by BillyMc
xx
Starting Out

Started by Des C on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 18:30
by Barry J Scott

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 33 queries.