Boring chickeny flooring disposal question!

• 10 Replies

ness

• Experienced Member
« on: March 17, 2008, 19:45 »
Hi
I have bark chippings on the floor of my chooks run that I have only had to change 1 in the last 6 months due to fact they free range most of the time..........until now.  My neighbours fence blew down twice in the last 3 weeks and is still on the floor as we speak.  So the girls are in their run - none to happy - and phew its starting to whiff.  So they need a clear out.  
But what should I do with the old chippings?  I gather your meant to compost them (my compost bin is full, I am currently waiting on a new one - nice and cheap - thanks Babe! but who knows when that'll arrive)
My thoughts are - wouldn't they take ages to rot down and just fill up the bin.
Could I just put it on the front garden as a sort of rich mulch?  Would it be harmful to shrubs?
Anyhelp gratefully received
Ness

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 19:54 »
I have used mine at the base of our apple trees to add nutrients and suppress weed grass growth - I cant think it would cause any probs with your shrubs but I am not a gardening expert!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 21:06 »
Hen poo's very rich in nitrogen but short on potash, it may burn the roots of your shrubs.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

hazelize_uk

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 21:24 »
I've run out of space on the compost heap too but have used empty compost sacks, bagged it up and stacked them behind the greenhouse where they will breakdown a bit before being able to use.  Fresh chicken manure is considered too 'hot' to use straight away as it can indeed burn the roots of plants due to the high levels of nitrogen.

If you dont need it and cant store it, im sure any allotment holder/veg grower would be more than happy to take it off your hands!

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 21:25 »
Thank for your replies.  Could I add something to counteract the burning effect?

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 21:33 »
Forgot to say I have an allotment (a third of one anyway!) so I would love to use it.  Would the bark break down too if it was composted?  How long would it take for it to be usable?  Space is a bit of an issue, hence thinking of the front garden as a short term solution.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 21:35 »
I often just put them back into the bad that the new bark coes out of and they begin to rot down quite nicely in there until I take them up to th lottie and put them in my compost bin there.  :idea:

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 21:43 »
Umm Auntie -is it just me but could you repeat the last post? couldn't make head or tail out of it and am really interested! :shock:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 21:48 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I often just put them back into the bad that the new bark coes out of and they begin to rot down quite nicely in there until I take them up to th lottie and put them in my compost bin there.  :idea:

OMG how did I get hold of Munty's keyboard  :roll:

Translation:

I often just put them [the used bark chips] back into the bag that the new bark comes in.  They begin to rot down in there quite nicely until I take them to the lottie and put them in my compost bin.

:wink:

hazelize_uk

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 22:23 »
well my oh digs a trench out about a spade deep 3/4 fills it with the soiled bark, or sawdust etc then adds a layer of shredded paper before filling back up with the soil.  He then uses the row to grow beans or peas etc.

Apparently the paper helps retain moisture during the summer and gives the 'hot' mixture time to rott down a bit underneath.  

Don't know if this is right as we tend to make up things as we go along from other bits and pieces that we have read, but we do get a bumper crop of beans!  :shock:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 10:56 »
Putting it a bean trench sounds a good idea to me.  :D

xx
Disposal of hen.....

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 17:53
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poo disposal

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 23:09
by SUTTY1
xx
Disposal

Started by tyrone on The Hen House

43 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 21:48
by MontyTom
xx
disposal when the time comes

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 10:44
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 35 queries.